We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you change for a Winnie?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Churchill makes it onto the new fiver note after 50 years.

Personally I think he should have warranted a higher value position on a £20 or £50 note, and I would have preferred the fiver note to be replaced with a coin. The now low value of a fiver being just small change even to kids.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Spuds, I was once paid in Scottish £100 notes, trying to get anyone down south to accept them was not easy but I think we should by now have an English £100 note. As Quickbeam says the fiver should be long gone. Paper money does not last very long in terms of wear especially the fiver. Obviously we can't have everything in coins. "Soon" coming are plastic notes I read somewhere, sounds like a good idea.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

£5 coins are not new I have 3

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

..but there are none in common circulation.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

My sister came down, or would that be doon for a week, a few years ago with a couple of £100 notes and found that she had to change one with me as no one would accept that such a thing could possibly be real never mind was it genuine.

I had some fun with it for a couple of months, buying, or trying to buy a paper, a haircut, a drink, a bag of chips etc. The younger the sales assistant the more extreme the reaction I got as if I was an alien from another planet or a real live escaped loony and should the police be called!

What I did find was that I didn't get any free goods like Gregory Peck did in The Million Pound Note.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, never had a Million pound note but had the same experience as you with the Scottish £100.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Million pound note, I wonder do such things exist for international currency trading, we can't keep flying gold around or do we?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

At the other extreme garages will not take pennies for a new car but are happy to offer you a few for the trade in:-)

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Never had a problem spending Scottish bank notes in England.

Keep the fiver!

We should think of abolishing the 1p, 2p and 5p.

Just like we relinquished the farthing and halfpenny.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The penny chew industry would collapse if that happened.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

If they do away with five pound notes whatever will I do with my old white fivers? No Brumas, I am not sending them to you.

Might send one or two to Macscouse's LHO though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...