We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you change for a Winnie?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Churchill makes it onto the new fiver note after 50 years.

Personally I think he should have warranted a higher value position on a £20 or £50 note, and I would have preferred the fiver note to be replaced with a coin. The now low value of a fiver being just small change even to kids.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Royal Mint did bring out a Churchill £5 coin recently...

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/thechurchill5poundcoin_pack

In Scotland, Bank of England fivers are 'few-and-far-between' ... 'Oh Yes' ;o]

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I thought you meant one of these or this (youtube)

:0)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

"I would have preferred the fiver note to be replaced with a coin."

Oh great lets have more coinage to add weight to our pockets.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Oh great lets have more coinage to add weight to our pockets."

Look at the purchasing value of a fiver today, about two pints of beer (or any commodity you want to use), compared to the mid '70s, when you could buy 5 pints with a pound note. The day of the fiver note is long gone by 20 years.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

There was a Churchill crown coin minted in the sixties. Todays face value 25p how about a fivers worth of those in your pocket.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's why the equivalent 20p & 5p coins are so light. Who's saying a £5 coin has to be the size of a dinner plate because it was equivalent to a weeks wages in the '50s?

The value of £5 today is a bag of carrots, some oranges, some chocolate, an apple pie, and a loaf of bread (20 minutes ago in the co-op). It's small change shopping a fiver is.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

No need for a £5 coin to be large at all, I was not saying that. I think a £5 coin would be much better myself.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - I recall the days when bringing a Scottish fiver south of the border, there was the likelihood that the police would have been called, on suspicion that it was dodgy currency ;O)

If and when Scotland go Euro, I wonder if dear old Robbie would have a lookin?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

We might not be letting the Picts keep our £ Sterling, so they can revert to the Groat if they like...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers