We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A Way to turn off Advertising

jacquie37

Likes # 0

Is there a way to turn off all advertising on a laptop without turning off your cookies?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Jacquie , go to Abine.com, and download do not track me , this will certainly help , and disable Java .

Like this post
jacquie37

Likes # 0

I looked on the internet and found Adblock Pro and downloaded it. It costs $19.95 but seems to work.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

jaquie37,

Read through this Click here, Last update for Adblock Pro was (06/28/2010)..

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Whether Adblock Plus is the same as Adblock Pro I haven't bothered to check. Adblock Plus was a free download,and so far it appears to work on my systems.

The only issue I have found with Adblock Plus, is the time on start-up and how it configures itself, especially and perhaps more so on the PCA website?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Out of curiosity I have just checked Adblock Plus for updates. It would appear that the program gives a message "out-of-date lists are updated periodically". There is an 'Update Now' tab, but that doesn't appear to work?.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Spuds

As far as AdblockPlus is concerned, filter list subscriptions are automatically updated, as needed. I think this happens whenever you start up your browser session. For example, I subscribe to EasyList and Fanboy's Adblock List - as I type this, the former was last updated on the 23/04 and the latter was updated about 15 mins agao i.e. when I first opened FF, this morning.

AdblockPlus is mozilla-only. Looking at AdblockPro, it seems to be for IE so I guess that's what the OP is using. Mind you, looking at the link provided by Lazarus The 2nd, Adblock pro seems a somewhat dubious choice (especially since IE9 onwards has blocking list subscription functionality built into the browser)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

SimpleSimon1

You have got me thinking, so I have just done some further checks.

I don't use Internet Explorer all that often, but Firefox as the main browser and Chrome for the PCA website. Checking it would appear that Adblock Plus is on my systems Chrome browser but not on the other two. Strange really because I thought that I did install it on all three browsers originally?.

Checking on the internet, it would appear that Adblock Plus http://www.adblockplus.org and Adblock Pro http://www.adblockpro.com come from two totally different stables. Adblock Plus website state that this product is for Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Andriod plus possibly others.

The "filter list subscription are automatically updated" comment would now seem feasible on start-up, and possibly confirms what I would regard "how it configures itself". Thanks for that information, I'll have to keep my eye on that.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

nickf

You disable Java as it is a possible security threat, full of holes.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/futuretense/2012/08/29/javazerodayvulnerabilitywhyyoushoulddisablejavaonyourbrowserrightnow_.html

You disable java script to cut down on pop ups, trackers,and generally load pages quicker.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days