We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Side Effects of PA Hacking

morddwyd

Likes # 0

One of the most alarming aspects of the recent hacking of the Press Association website, and a story posted that the White House had been bombed and Obama hurt, was that before the denial gained currency the Dow Jones dropped several points.

This raises frightening prospects of co-ordinated criminal or state sponsored attacks affecting major economies.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Perhaps people will learn not to trust instant news and a single source. If the White House had been attacked it would have been on all the main TV channels within seconds.

People should treat every day like April 1st and assume a 'breaking' story is nonsense until it gets confirmed.

Obviously, that doesn't happen at the moment and that's why the stock market blipped.

According to the Guardian the Dow recovered in a few minutes so little real harm was done and, if it makes people more wary in the future, it may end up doing some good.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps I am well off limits here, but I often wonder if some of these 'scares' are intentional, so as to see how the people or the markets will react?.

The other question might be one of 'who lost and who profited' during this event?.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Perhaps people will learn not to trust instant news and a single source."

It may not be "people", but just one person. Just one nervous trader to trigger an automatic selling programme is all it takes.

"the Dow recovered in a few minutes "

But of course, these days again that's all it takes.

Time it right and maybe a dip in Asia, then the Dax, and with the vast majority of institutional transactions triggered automatically by computers and you're talking about billions in less than a minute.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Sell short just before ~ Buy in 4 minutes after.

Just tell me when you plan to do it and I'll order the Ferrari

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

morddwyd, "vast majority of institutional transactions triggered automatically by computers and you're talking about billions in less than a minute". I think you have the reason worked out.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The reason for what?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

morddwyd, I meant it was the reason why some one would want false information fed to the media causing a market dip in order to cash in on it using modern technology to buy at a low.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?