We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Contextual Advertising on the Internet

fourm member

Likes # 0

Please have a look at this YouTube clip. It is only 48 seconds. I'm interested to hear if you get the same advert popping up along the bottom of the frame and whether it makes you laugh as much as it did me.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It took 3 attempts to get the ad that is amusing. First 2 were about Cold War music.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I can only get this thread if I turn off anti-banner advertising.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I'm getting it every time. Maybe the Cold War music is contextually related to you.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

No ad here, and just the video

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I was definitely involved in the Cold War but that type of music has no interest at all for me.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Al94

The ad that Woolwell and I saw is for dental implants.

Having revealed that I'll move on to the point of the thread which is to ask is contextual advertising so dumb it is annoying or so clever because I now know the name of a firm doing dental implants and I would have never remembered it if it hadn't made me laugh?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

No ads ... after 3 runs; but, how come, I keep thinkn' of Sophie Raworth, the BBC1 newsreader?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I keep getting an advert tor wicked @ lastminute.com

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I get an advert for Sippdeal. I'm already a client of theirs.

It amuses me when reading the morning papers on-line. I see my own adverts on Gumtree. National press coverage for a £4 item.........mind you, I've still not sold it!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

oresome

That's contextual advertising of a different sort. Unless you turn it off, sites access your browsing history and deliver adverts that seem to suit your interests.

Maybe people should stop posting to this thread before someone says 'All I get is an ad for lonely widows looking for love'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September