We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Warping on timber fencing structure!

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Now that spring is here and summer is shortly due, there might be the tendency for all the new or odd jobs requiring consideration. Which bring me to the point of asking other members to the forum about their experiences on timber fencing possibly around their property.

Warping seems to be one of the major hazards,which can make something that looks very nice to something that looks like a disaster, and I was wondering how some members might have combated this obstacle, and whether they would like to share their experiences or expertise on the subject?.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Regular and often waterproofing would probably delay it happening. Also of course good quality stuff to be bought in the first place.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Fence timbers should always be bought pre-treated and then regularly painted with a suitable preservative.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you are starting afresh then use concrete repairs spurs with wooden posts - it stops the post rotting, you could also use a concrete gravel board if you think you will have a problem with rotting of the fence where it touches the ground and don't forget to use a capping rail.

Forget fence panels if you have them in a windy position they will warp and chunks will fall off.

I have some close board fencing alongside a public footpath that I put up 25 years ago and it is hardly showing any signs of wear and tear, I treat it every couple of years with a mixture of creosote with a bit of old tractor engine oil in for good colour.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Good point about the regular painting, but take a point of a recent purchase.

To save on individual transport cost (£26.00 delivery charge per order) and discounts, a number of neighbours got together and did a bulk order of approximately 70/80 panels plus 3"x3" timber posts to fit to the existing 'Meta-posts', so as to replace old established wooden fencing. When the items arrived, it was very obvious that the items had just been made. The timber was soaking through having apparently just been dipped, the manufacture and perhaps quality control was also in question when the sodden items dried out. Painting direct at the time was out of the question, and perhaps this was the downfall at a later stage?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I mentioned recent purchase, but this was last year, but it doesn't seem like that!.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've got 2 sections of a wooden fence which was repaired at different times using treated timber. The first section has warped, the second section has not. Neither have been painted. The second section cost more and was put up by a better fencer and I think that there lies the answer ie better quality timber and a better workman.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Ti is better to use 'new' treated timber boards as it is still damp from treatment and tends not to split when nailed, it also dries to the shape of the fence - if you put it up straight it stays straight.

I would not give most fence panels house (or garden) room they are too flimsy.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Creosote was excellent as a fence preservative, but it's been banned for a number of years.

Much of the stuff you can buy now is water based and little more than a decorative finish that doesn't seem to even look good for long, let alone preserve the wood.

Aspect is critical. If one side faces the Sun throughout the day and the other side never sees it, some warping is inevitable.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Wood being a natural material doesn't really lose any rustic visual appeal with natural warping. A drystone wall without moss or a thatched roof that always look just finished will never attain the quaint look without the effects of natural degenerative ageing.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

wiz-king

I am not sure if most of the 'superstore' retailer's get their supplies from the same source. But going on the build aspect, I often wonder why the panels often come with a 10 or 15 year manufacturer's guarantee?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote