We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Professional Footballers as Roll Models (What a laugh)

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm surprised there has been no thread opened about the Liverpool player who gave his opponent a rather over the ball, love bite. Maybe they should issue him with a muzzle when, and after he has served his ban.

Sorry but if I can't joke about this event I would feel like crying. When are these overpaid posers going to behave in a manner which makes them look like real hero's.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

morddwyd

One of the reasons that rugby union and cricket are played in the old colonial lands is that they were the games played at the public schools of the original colonial masters. So while it may not now be a case of being played by the gentlemen classes, that's why those games originated in those countries.

You are however quite correct in stating your observation that the rugby league fraternity wear flat caps and breed whippets. Another well known fact is that football supporters don't feel any cold which explains why they only need to wear the thinnest of club tops on the coldest of days.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Wow, I never realised I'd hit such a raw nerve!

1) If that was your idea of a 'holier than thou' attitude, then nothing more needs be said, save ridiculous.

2) How can you still say there are no degrees of cheating, but think that different rules of punishment should apply? Nonsensical!!

3)The word I used was "came", which is past tense. As someone else said, Grammar schools played rugby union, secondary moderns played football. That was the norm, but I accept things changed when Union gave up it's amateur status and joined the 'money-trail' (in relatively recent years), and Grammar schools disappeared.

Lastly, your final sentence was just the kind of thing I'd expect from someone losing an argument. Kindly tell me what my 'class' is, and what the south east of England has to do with anything, and take a guess at the names of rugby and football teams I've played with (Yes - both!!).

For a Welshman to accuse anyone of having 'insular preconceptions' is hilarious, however!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I went to secondary modern that gave me the choice of either, I picked rugby because the kit top had a proper collar!

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Bingalau

"(Maybe when the cameras are introduced they can stop the game after an incident and then the referee can make the correct decision)."

Unfortunately, the cameras are only 'Goal line technology'. The only thing they are there to capture is the occasional issue of 'was it over the goal line, or not?', and nothing more, as far as I know.

The TV cameras already capture the Suarez style incidents, the issue is that the FA fail to deal with too many of them.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Picklefactory. I agree that it is only being introduced as goal line technology. But it will then creep in to other areas of the game I hope, and maybe stop other types of cheating such as off the ball sly kicks to wind players up etc. It is obvious the referee can't see all the pitch goings on at once, but modern technology can help iron out a lot of things which are needed.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

And 'diving', that's a bit of a cheat. I always want Mr 'T' to drive onto the pitch in a tank and throw a Snickers at the offender.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"One of the reasons that rugby union and cricket are played in the old colonial lands"

Argentina, Italy, Japan (rugby, not cricket, though it's quite strong in Holland) "old colonial lands"!

Interesting!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

You know what I mean!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote