We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Professional Footballers as Roll Models (What a laugh)

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm surprised there has been no thread opened about the Liverpool player who gave his opponent a rather over the ball, love bite. Maybe they should issue him with a muzzle when, and after he has served his ban.

Sorry but if I can't joke about this event I would feel like crying. When are these overpaid posers going to behave in a manner which makes them look like real hero's.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I was simply pointing out rugby has it's share of thugs as well."

Exactly as I said "Biting is not uncommon in rugby"

"well I would say that is totally wrong."

You are, as always, welcome to your opinion.

" And some people say 'rugger' is a gentleman's game??"

Those people have never played on a colliery ground in the Rhondda Valley on a Saturday afternoon in the 40s/50s.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

So where was the 'holier than thou' attitude you said I'd shown??

Is your opinion still that there are no degrees of cheating? What is your opinion of the scenario I presented, do the culprits both deserve the same treatment?

I always thought that was part of a refs responsibility to decide the 'degree' of foul committed and punish accordingly.

Accepting the Welsh coalfields as exceptional, the vast majority of rugby union players came into the game via grammar schools and universties - hence, I suppose, the title of 'gentleman's game' - used by some people.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

And so, the issue moves on from the footballer to the club.

Ian Ayre, the Liverpool managing director said: "Both the club and player are shocked and disappointed at the severity of today's independent regulatory commission decision."

That risks sounding like condoning the player's behaviour.

Then he went on "We await the written reasons tomorrow before making any further comment."

Surely it would have been better to refuse to comment until the full reasons are available because it looks as though Ayre is putting the commercial interests of the club above everything else.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I can understand why they are saying the ban is more than has been 'the usual' in previous cases - but I firmly believe that the Club and player should accept this penalty, particularly in view of the worldwide furore and TV 'evidence'.

If they attempt to appeal or argue over it the Club will suffer even more in the public's eyes. "Put-up-and-shut-up" would be their best course of action.

OK, he misses important games, but the club still retain their 'asset' (should they wish to keep him - but that's another matter of course!) and hopefully an important lesson has been learned.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

And will it stop him doing it again? Perhaps a muzzle...

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Torres has been wearing a 'face-mask' for a while (following a broken nose, I believe), so I suppose it could be adapted as a muzzle and made a compulsory item for all players to wear, along with foam arm/elbow covering,...etc?

In fact 22 'Michelin men' playing the game might be interesting - and certainly safer!!

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

I think the thing that really saddens me about how the game has been degraded is how the clubs are between a rock and a hard place when they have players of Suarez' ilk. He may well be a perfect gentleman off the pitch, I have no idea, and only those who know him could answer that, but unfortunately for his club, he totally loses all reason and self control when his blood his high. The club paid almost £23m for his services, and an estimated £120k per week for him to do what, it must be said, he is very, very good at.

Football is purely and simply a money making machine, and he is their biggest asset by far, and they will do and say as much as they can get away with to keep their prized asset a happy little asset, they need him happy and scoring goals and, possibly more importantly, selling sponsorship deals and shirts.

I wonder if a more stinging punishment for misdemeanour's of this nature would be to penalise the club sponsorship and make it even more painful for the club, just like holding parents responsible for their children, as seemingly many of these players are little more than children...mentally at least.

I know that that suggestion is unrealistic, more wishful thinking I'm afraid, but it all just seems to be getting worse and worse and the powers that be are becoming more and more embarrassing in their feeble control of the game. Even more embarrassing in some ways, is their bandwagon dealing with this case. As bad and tasteless as it was, there are much more dangerous and brutal things that are allowed to go entirely unpunished, excepting there isn't always the media and public furore for them all that, in my opinion only, has contributed to the FA's reaction to this incident.

I have absolutely zero respect for Mr Suarez, but in truth, I also have zero respect for the English FA who should shoulder much of the blame for the state things have sunken to.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"Suddenly brings back memories of Norman 'bite yer legs' Hunter!!"

Big Tam Forsyth [ of Glasgow Rangers ] had a similar nickname...

http://www.rangerspedia.org/index.php/Forsyth,_Tam

J A W S !

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Maybe a good punishment to fit the crime would be to extract all his teeth.

I am disgusted at the way his manager is defending him. He talked a lot of gibberish in his TV interview earlier today. He mentioned something along the lines of .... "the FA are punishing the player but not the offence". What does that mean? I hope they appeal and get a bigger punishment.

One of the things that annoyed me was that he should also have been sent off at the time, he then wouldn't have scored the goal in injury time which gained the club a point. (Maybe when the cameras are introduced they can stop the game after an incident and then the referee can make the correct decision).

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

“which, to my mind, makes rugby players far worse than footballers I”

“So where was the 'holier than thou' attitude you said I'd shown??”

There

“Is your opinion still that there are no degrees of cheating? What is your opinion of the scenario I presented, do the culprits both deserve the same treatment?”

Yes and yes, but I do regard violent conduct and cheating as two different areas. Many wouldn't

“Accepting the Welsh coalfields as exceptional, “

Only in your country, not in mine

“the vast majority of rugby union players came into the game via grammar schools and universities”

And rugby league players all wear flat hats and breed whippets.

Once again only in your country. I suggest you visit the Scottish Borders, or Languedoc in France, or Leinster in Ireland, or even the current Olympic rugby union champions, the United States.

Talk to some New Zealanders, or, in my mind the dirtiest players of all, in others just the most physical, the Springboks.

Not many of the Samoans went to uni, or the Fijians,

I suggest you look outside your own insular, class riven preconceptions, and realise that rugby union is played elsewhere than the south east of England.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...