We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Professional Footballers as Roll Models (What a laugh)

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm surprised there has been no thread opened about the Liverpool player who gave his opponent a rather over the ball, love bite. Maybe they should issue him with a muzzle when, and after he has served his ban.

Sorry but if I can't joke about this event I would feel like crying. When are these overpaid posers going to behave in a manner which makes them look like real hero's.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

spider9 There is a fourth option you missed out, speed. That out trumps the first 3 paper, stone, scissors options.

You should recognise a firm tongue in the cheek when it hits you in the teeth...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

" And some people say 'rugger' is a gentleman's game??"

In a season when nearly every Six Nations game was won by the team caught cheating less times than the other don't go all holier than thou on me.

There are no degrees of cheating.

Cheating is cheating.

The "professional foul" is fully accepted in Association Football.

Why should rugby be any different?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Odd that you didn't give FE a similar riposte, as he, also, didn't presumably spot the tongue in cheek??

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Who on earth is getting 'holier than thou'? What nonsense, I was simply pointing out rugby has it's share of thugs as well.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

spider9 On the contrary, the tone of the FE's reply suggested that he knows me far too well. The time of the teeth post was a dead give away too.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

With rugby any incident is usually dealt with straight away, or a 'hearing' is usually arranged very swiftly. You might need to look no further than the incident or 'bit of fun' that Manu Tuilagi did, and the swift action that took place on that well published swimming incident?.

With football, its usually the case of how important the prima dona football player is, and whether the incident will spill out onto the streets or the nearest pub.

Its already been mentioned by another contributor about Sunday football. It seems that violence is now a regular part of that game nowadays, if my local newspaper reports are anything to follow.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

In the early 60's I played Rugby at Roehampton (You'll note the 'at' rather than 'for') it was very amateur stuff.

I was, more or less, straight out of Schools Rugby and was horrified by the amount of violence in the Club Game. To me, it seemed that many of the players were using the game to work out their, repressed, work frustrations.

After three injuries involving trips to hospital, in three consecutive matches and caused intentionally by other players, including a dislocated shoulder caused by an opposition player twisting my arm behind my back, I opted out.

So this is nothing new, or confined to the professional game.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

" ..the tone of the FE's reply suggested.. "

Apologies, quickbeam, I hadn't realised you were one of those who could detect 'tones' in the written word.

FE's only sentence was "Thank goodness footballers seem to have a good deal more self-control than you"

Presumably the reference to the time of the 'teeth' post suggested alcohol speaking? Or do I have that wrong as well?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

You say "There are no degrees of cheating", well I would say that is totally wrong.

Two players try to jump to meet a 'corner-kick', one defender elbows the forward in the face causing concussion; another defender grabs the forward's shirt and holds him down.

These are both 'cheating' but do you really see those as 'same degree' events, presumably requiring equal punishment?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

10 match ban and gets to keep his own teeth... Not too bad

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do