We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Professional Footballers as Roll Models (What a laugh)

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm surprised there has been no thread opened about the Liverpool player who gave his opponent a rather over the ball, love bite. Maybe they should issue him with a muzzle when, and after he has served his ban.

Sorry but if I can't joke about this event I would feel like crying. When are these overpaid posers going to behave in a manner which makes them look like real hero's.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The fact that you are good at football doesn't automatically mean that you are also equipped to behave as a role model. Some footballers are models of sportsmanship, others seem to have a street-fighter mentality.

Football is a contact sport, there are people on the pitch who are very young, and testosterone is coursing through their bodies - there will be incidents. It's up to a club's management to identify those players who are likely to cross the line, and help them to control their anger, whilst avoiding any tendency to eliminate aggression altogether. It's not easy, and from time to time something will happen that hits the headlines.

When it happens there should be a rapid response from the club management, and - when necessary - from the FA. Serious incidents should attract serious penalties against both club and player.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

...and then moan when they behave like the rest of us.

I don't, and I'll bet no one else on this Forum goes around biting people. I will admit to a bit of verbal abuse to those people who ignore my 'No Cold Callers' sign and still ring my doorbell anyway. Perhaps I should take up biting them !!

Like this post  
fourm member

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Sometimes it is better to say nothing. I thought your thread title was a very witty pun.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

FE

"When it happens there should be a rapid response from the club management, and - when necessary - from the FA."

Well, judging from last nights TV statement from Liverpool's boss, the first of these is a 'fail' so we'll now see what the FA comes up with.....on second thoughts, club management certainly came up with a "rapid response" so maybe I'm being unfair to say that the first point was a fail :-)

These days, I wonder what a footballer has to do before the severity of the act overrides the commercial imperative to support him at all costs?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This reminds of of the occasions when we see or hear about a footballer, who feigns serious injury on a pitch, so as to draw attention to themselve?.

This recent incident seems to have drawn attention, as to whether it was as serious as the Tyson ear-biting event. I do believe though, that in the ear biting, part of an ear was lost. In this recent incident, no blood was drawn?.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

fourm member. Thanks for believing my thread heading was witty. If it is then it was unintentional. I'm not that clever.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"In this recent incident, no blood was drawn?."

There have been , regularly, head butts and elbows in the face that caused far worse injury ( to say nothing of reckless, leg-breaking tackles).

As I said earlier, more like a three year old's playground spat.

The FA are in a position where, theoretically they could ban him for life - which, as his capital value as a player may well be £50 million, would give the FA the responsibility of removing £50 million from a company's account!

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

The FA bring much of it on themselves in that so much is allowed to continue unpunished at the top level. I have played and am still involved in amateur football for 30 odd years now, and much of what is commonplace in top flight football, would not be allowed at an amateur level. It is not only common, but almost totally constant, to see professional players charging at a referee hurling foul mouthed abuse at him in anger at a decision, which the refs seem to just accept and ignore, if that happened on a Sunday morning in our amateur league, that player would be straight off, and rightly so.

Some of these prima donnas are lulled into a sense of untouchability, and feel they can do as they please. I agree that there is a minority who really abuse things, but cheating has become such an integral part of the professional game now, that I feel it would be hard to pull it back, but that will never happen until discipline is enforced ON the pitch, and that starts with the referees.

When £40k per week players are spending more time sitting watching from the sidelines on bans from excessive red/yellow cards, I'm sure the clubs would spend a certain amount of time spitting fire before having no option but to start encouraging their players to toe a different line. But hey, who am I kidding, there is absolutely no chance of that happening in what is now no longer really a true sport, but just a massive business where the powers that be are also worried to death about keeping their own finances, and personal incomes, as high as possible.

It's a real shame to see a game I have loved all my life degenerate to the embarrassing level that these fools have allowed it to. I'm slowly but surely losing interest in it and I find myself spending more and more time watching rugby these days.

What a shame.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

I was born just a five minute walk from both Anfield and Goodison Park in Liverpool, so you might say football is in my blood. I joined the St John ambulance Service at the tender age of 9, just so I could get into the games for free. When I won the Scholarship, I went to a grammar school where soccer was banned, and had to play rugby instead. On joining the army, I continued playing both games, until a dirty big French gendarme decided that the English scrum-half he was playing against would be better off with only one leg. Thus ended my playing career at the age of 24. I became a football referee, so I could continue enjoying the game, and for 10 years, I enjoyed officiating. Gradually, the antics seen from the professional game began creeping in, and refereeing became a chore. After 12 years, I hung up my whistle, saddened by what the game had become. Now, even though I live only a 2 minute walk from the local park, where 3 games a week are played by the local amateurs, I would not put me coat on to take a look at them.

Football these days is no longer a sport, but a cut-throat business.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

But why biting?

Certain animals bite as a prelude to sex.

The toddler negotiating the anal sadistic stage will bite.

Which one is he?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen