We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

stud walls

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

always had solid walls,but a bungalow i am looking at has stud walls. done a google but is full of stud finders not sure what studs are either.

any pros / cons re stud walls or any advice i need to know please.

no alterations planned other than re painting walls.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Basically they are just timber frames with a plaster board covering the frame work, just don't try and hang any heavy objects unless you use the correct fixing.

Some thing like this enter link description here

enter link description here

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Just thought about a DIY book we have and instructions in it for hanging a large mirror to a stud wall go a bit like this,

Buy stud fixings, also buy plaster board repair kit to repair hole made by fixing not working properly, find number for plasterer to come and fix job properly.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

carver thank you the links were a good read. are studs metal brakets that hold the wood frame together?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Internal stud wall can be very good but newish ones sometimes have insulating fiberglass between the two layers of plaster board which can make it a pain to retrofit cables.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Studs are the wood bits like this

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The plasterboard internal walls in our house appear to have been part manufactured off-site with a eggbox type filling between the outer skins making subsequent cable laying very difficult.

I assume the filling falls short of the edges on manufacture to allow the boards to slot between the timber uprights or studs and a timber base.

After 25 years, the taped joints on the plasterboard are starting to fail, particularly behind radiators.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The majority of internal walls, especially upstairs, in a modern house will be stud walls. There is nothing to worry about if they have been built correctly however sometimes stud walls are built to divide rooms and if done by a bodger could be a problem however a house survey should throw up any problems.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Only problem I have is that those fitted to my '97 house have no sound proofing between the plasterboard panels - result is noise in one room heard in the next.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

This has been annoying me since the beginning of the thread.

The Term is: Studwork Walls not Stud Walls

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

wee eddie. These little terms do tend to upset the experts I suppose. But I have always heard building type workers refer to them as "stud walls". I live in a semi-detached bungalow and some of the walls are "studded?" but the main ones are solid brickwork and I assume are the load bearing walls. I think "Stud Walls" should be renamed as "Partition Walls". My bathroom wall is studded and I have had no problems fixing a mirror and a small electric light/shaving point above it. But as has been pointed out already it becomes more difficult if the space has been filled in with something. Running wiring or phone cables etc., then becomes more difficult.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015