We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

At last, the real Olympic legacy

fourm member

Likes # 0

It is good to see that, at last, we've found the proper British way to treat the gold medallists from London 2012. Mo Farah has been accused of cashing in.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

And the point of the post is?.

I would imagine that dozens or even thousands would or have done the same thing, but they might not be as important or of 'celebrity' status?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The point is that the British way is to condemn success.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood and I thought I was criticising Mo Farah. I wasn't.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"The point is that the British way is to condemn success."

I would substitute 'success' with 'greed' in this case.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

'I would substitute 'success' with 'greed' in this case.'

Why?

A private business has decided that it makes commercial sense for it to pay Farah to appear. What is greedy about him accepting the offer?

You're demonstrating the point perfectly. The British way is to be jealous of someone else's success and try and bring them down as a result instead of saying 'Well done' or even 'If I work as hard as that at what I do, maybe I'll be successful'.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I would be more inclined to question the nature of the race itself. I think the large majority of participants are amateur runners, running for no personal gain other than the achievement itself. And yet there are professional athletes taking part for financial gain. It's one thing to offer a prize for the winners, thats the nature of competition, but quite a different thing to be paid just for appearing.

WTM

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

WTM

It has been that way for a long time.

These days, there are a lot of marathons and they compete to attract the star names.

Having star names attracts sponsors. Having sponsors increases the resources available to the organisers and allows more runners to take part. More runners means more charity fundraisers and more funds raised for charity.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The first London Marathon had 7,741 entrants. This year it is about 35,000.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

One of the main reasons for the success of the London Marathon has been the way it has been marketed - partly by getting famous runners to take part. They've taken part because they've been paid to do so, and their participation has made the London Marathon into the world's biggest and best known.

Mo Farah has a talent, and he's profiting from it - I see nothing wrong with that at all. It happens in all fields of human endeavour, and in most countries it's admired.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

FE

They've taken part because they've been paid to do so

Which says more for their financial aspirations than their sporting/athletic ones, imho.

WTM

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

WTM

Completely agree, one would like to think that 'famous' Olympic athletes (many of whom would have previously benefitted from facilities and grants to enable them to achieve their fame) might have felt that they could support this charity by just running with no fee - as a way of repayment, possibly?

They would surely have ample opportunity to 'cash-in' with other more commercial enterprises, advertisement fees, even opening shops etc.!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data