We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Storm Thorgerson dies...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Never heard of Storm Thorgerson? Nor me.

But I'll bet most of us are unwittingly more familiar with his artwork than any other artist.

Other than that, what a fantastic Viking name!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Talking about the 'prism' cover he designed for Pink Floyd’s 'Dark side of the moon' He said:

“We had six ideas, but they were short of time so they saw the prism and said ‘Right, that’ll do’. They didn’t even look at the others.”

It has been described as one of the greatest album covers of all time.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As a great fan of The Pink Floyd I was aware of his work but not that he had died. Certainly a great artist in the pop industry but I can't honestly say that I know much about him. His work will always be remembered.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I have to admit that I have seen his work and have admired it greatly but did not put his name to it.

Quickbeam thank you for this, at least I can now put a name to work I just admired before as art.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm more impressed by his name, it's straight out of Norse mythology. I can just imagine him fighting Heimdallr on his way over the Bifrost bridge.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"straight out of Norse mythology"

It's an uncommon name in Norway - far more common in America in fact.

Storm had Norwegian parents, but he was born in Britain.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Storm's 'finger-ripping' artwork on the Peter Gabriel LP cover is particularly arresting.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

One of the great things about vinyl albums was that the artwork was so much bigger and easier to appreciate and there was so much space available on the rear to give credit to everybody. His work wasn't just with Pink Floyd but obviously that was a milestone in cover design for which he will really be remembered.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Physical Grafitti (Led Zeppelin) and Exile on Main Street (RolLing Stones) had interesting sleeves if anyone can remember. Were they the work of Storm Thorgeson whom I have never heard of either, clever guy anyway.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... the lead guitarist of Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page sacked Storm when his notion to include a racket on the cover of 'Houses of The Holy' cover [ equals LOUD noise ] didn't go down too well!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/storm-thorgerson-graphic-designer-whose-art-was-central-to-the-work-of-pink-floyd-8580885.html

Physical Graffiti the follow-up album's cover was, I suspect,someone else's creation.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Never heard of him never seen the pictures totally unimpressed

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...