We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 871

Brumas

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

I’ll finish off with a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD but which is really a TALKING POINT as I don’t think the ship could possibly be identified.

click here

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

HMS Warrior? Portsmouth before refurbishment?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I would imagine that there are 3 wheels as it needs up to 3 people to operate it so it must be doing something fairly hefty. A mast has been mentioned which could well require a lot of effort to raise it. The lighting in the photo I suspect was flash as there seems to be no shadows as one would expect from natural light.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I don't think the flash of the day (burning magnesium powder?) would illuminate the scene as comprehensibly as this seems to be, without any sharp shadows. But thats just my opinion. Someone with more knowledge in that field would be able to say better than I. Although I have no doubt it could be done nowadays.

WTM

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If it was a warship then we are probably looking at the emergency steering position. To turn the rudder(s) without power would require far more than 3 men per wheel. There are reports of dozens of men being required on one ship but it wouldn't be any thing like that number on this ship.

The amount of light is interesting but I think that above the ladder there is a large hatch open to strong daylight.

The mast is fixed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

caccy - It is not Warrior and she was restored in Hartlepool.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I wonder if the Royal Navy Museum would be able to help?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

That thick rope [in the foreground] is reminiscent of the school gymnasium climbing rope I once climbed [reluctantly] at primary.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Would a warship have emergency steering gear in such an exposed position where it might be vulnerable to blast etc from enemy shellfire? I'm asking because apart from the possible uniform of the man in the background I see no other evidence to support a claim that it's a warship.

WTM

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I thought the man in the background had a Japanese Look about him but then my eyesight is not that good.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I too thought the man in the pic looked Japanese!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features