We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 871

Brumas

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

I’ll finish off with a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD but which is really a TALKING POINT as I don’t think the ship could possibly be identified.

click here

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The semi-intact wheel to the right looks very close to the metal structure, and why would the system need 3 wheels? Very puzzling picture.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Three wheels and even sometimes four wheels was quite normal on big steamships.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Also meant to add - though apparently close to the metal structure, operators of the wheels usually stood at each side of the wheel(s).

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My guess is that the photo is of a ship that was involved in, and survived, a memorable natural disaster of some kind. There's no sign of water damage, so it is unlikely to have been of a wreck that had sunk.

Possible, the Steering Flat of the inter island Passenger/Freighter that that survived the post Krakatoa, Tsunami, comes to mind.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

WTM. Ships masts are by design tilted/sloped backwards. I would think to counteract the bending of the mast by the strength of the wind. I am no authority on such things but when I made model boats as a child they were definitely sloped towards the aft (rear/back end) of the boat. When I was stationed in the dockyard at Portsmouth HMS Victory's masts had a slope so I imagine that is normal.

All ships keep a log of course and I would think that all those logs are probably still available in some dark and dingy office somewhere in the Admiralty. Any volunteers to go through them to see if they can find a ship's log which has recorded what happened? Not me. What a pity somebody din't write a caption on this postcard.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Another thought but not really to do with this thread. Why are ship's funnels usually raked backwards too? Artistic flair by the designers? Streamlining perhaps? Maybe something to do with the smoke blowing back down the funnel?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Could this be a US Navy ship? Their sailors are allowed moustaches, and I think three steering wheels were a feature sometimes.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I wonder if the ship is being scrapped? Perhaps someone stole part of the wheels.

3 or 4 steering wheels near the tiller flat are not unusual.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

jb. I still think the man in the picture is a Bootneck. I can see the dog collar badges and the buttons on his uniform in my picture anyway. As you also know British Royal Marines were allowed to wear moustaches whilst at sea. We had a competition in our detachment on HMS Ceylon to see who could grow the best tasch. I think I came about half way down the list about 20th out of 48.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Brumas, where did you get the picture, any clues there?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'