We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 871

Brumas

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

I’ll finish off with a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD but which is really a TALKING POINT as I don’t think the ship could possibly be identified.

click here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ah - a typo - deck not desk.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"I'm puzzled why anyone would want to photograph it." so am I unless it was a personal thing but that does not explain how it became a postcard. I will keep an eye on this in case anyone can come up with the answer though I doubt it.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Woolwell, no probs, this is a very tricky one by Brumas.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

bumpkin I try my best ;o}}

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Brumas, at least give us a chance:-)

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

bumpkin I am as much in the dark as the rest of you!! As I said earlier this is A GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD with no lettering on its face, no correspondence on its plain back, it is unposted which means there are no clues to go on, more's the pity!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"that does not explain how it became a postcard"

I seem to remember that this was an option when you had your photos printed years ago.

This may be a "this is where I work" sort of thing.

There is a postcard of the Belt Feed Mechanism Filling Room at RAF Khormaksar maybe still around somewhere.

I look forward to that one turning up one Friday - I might be in with a chance!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Woolwell. The hammock looks to be in a heck of a mess to me. Maybe it had been used in a damage control situation? I think you are right about the mast too, so that makes it pretty old I suppose. There is an awful lot of muck and dust about the place which as you know must be recent as it would be cleaned up pretty damn quick if it were in working order. That makes me think maybe it is in dock somewhere for repairs.

So to sum up so far. A Royal Navy ship, probably pre 1900's in a naval dockyard for repairs after an engagement at sea. A scruffy hammock which may have been used for damage control. A bootneck posing to send a picture home to one of his lady friends. So it is HMS ?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Four observations:

1 - It has been suggested that the thick vertical tube is a mast. It seems to have a rather pronounced tilt on it though, and it looks to be by design rather than mishap, judging by the undistorted condition of the checkerboard metal plating at it's base. Is such a tilt of a large mast normal? I don't know.

2 - the two sets of stairways visible appear to be of timber construction, although the significance of this escapes me.

3 - The extent of the damage. Whatever it was, it did extensive damage to the wheels themselves, but none at all to the surrounding compartment. The flimsy looking metal covering to what is presumably some sort of gearbox, which lies next to the semi intact wheel and atop the vertical shaft that rises from the deck appears to have escaped the violent fate of the wheels.

4 - Calling it a compartment might actually be a little misleading. The lighting levels in the picture suggest that the area may be open to the elements. If you accept that, then perhaps the damage was caused by a freak wave. Although that doesnt explain my previous observation.

WTM

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan I too believe the damage was the result of gale force conditions. A force 10 gale in the middle of the North Atlantic caused me to have an horrific accident, that's why I never underestimate the power of the sea!

I often use the term a 'lump of water' on Friday nights because the sea is bloody lumpy and I've felt every blooming bump!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...