We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot and Talking Point 871

Brumas

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

I’ll finish off with a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD but which is really a TALKING POINT as I don’t think the ship could possibly be identified.

click here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that it is a badly stowed hammock on the desk.

A moustached man on a ship is a rarity.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

HMS Caroline's tiller flat

It's not a match but gives an indication of what the steering gear may have looked like with all 3 wheels in place.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Woolwell could that hammock be an early life raft and that splendid moustachioed bloke in uniform could be a marine, possibly Bingalau himself ;o}

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Fairly convinced that it is a hammock judging by the end of it. Never slept in one, instead had to use a camp bed, whilst most of the others in my first ship had hammocks. This was late 1960's before someone thinks that I was around in the time of Nelson.

I think that the moustachioed gentleman is a foreman or something similar.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

don’t think the ship could possibly be identified.

But I don't think it will be for the want of trying, 'cos that statement is like a red rag to a bull methinks.

Somewhere there must be an image showing the Steering system of probably an early steam/sailing schooner of some sort!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I think Brumas is on the right track for the man himself. It looks like a Royal Marine's uniform to me, so anybody with photoshop may be able to enhance it and see for sure. But I think even as it is I can see the buttons and the badges in the dog collar. For the information of non RN people on this forum, the Royal Marines on board ship were allowed to grow moustaches, whilst the navy personnel weren't. They had to ask the skipper for "permission to grow" If it was given it had to be a full set of beard and moustache.

The paintwork looks like "Pusser's Crabfat" so it may well be an RN ship in dock after being shot to bits somewhere. Only my opinion. It may well be a picture of an enemy ship which has been captured. (by the lone Royal Marine of course)!!!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau Be fair old pal, there were two bootnecks, the other one had sloped off and was having a crafty fag somewhere;o}

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Nontek Yes, I'd thought that too.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't think that it was shot to bits as there is no sign of any other damage.

I'm puzzled why anyone would want to photograph it.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"I think that it is a badly stowed hammock on the desk." What desk?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...