We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Personally I wish he would learn not to have ideas

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

Sorry but this is really brilliant enter link description here or not idea from this person, he just seems to let his mouth say any thing that comes into his thought pattern with out thinking it through.

So you have longer days and shorter holidays, who will pay for it, teachers will not do it with out more pay, TA's who schools are now dependant on to operate properly will not work extra hours unless they get paid the extra money.

More money will have to be found to open schools for longer hours, heating/ maintenance people to be paid.

It might be an idea to start at basics and put him back in a class room with over 30 children and try and get him to teach them. We have one of the biggest average class sizes in the EU and the situation is getting worse every year.

Or he could practice what he preaches and try and get the summer recess for MP's shortened and make them work longer hours.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You mean the teacher will have to teach more than 30hr a week - how could he think of such a thing?

When I were but a lad school was 9 to 4.30 but now I see them wandering about the street from about 3.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

wiz-king school is different now, they have pens and paper, chalk and slate went out a bit back.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry but seriously when I was at school diners used to last one and a half hours now they have 30 minutes and that is why the school day appears shorter.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

carver No chalk! But having the blackboard rubber land in your desk from afar whilst you were deep in conversation with one of your classmates was a bit off putting.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I remember doing 'homework / study classes' at secondary school which comprised of a 2 hours / 3 days a week timetable after normal school hours [4:30pm to 6:30pm]. Do English secondary schools have a similar scheme?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Aitchbee errrr no, unless you count detention as same thing.

wiz-king wasn't as off putting as having back of the hand slapped with a wooden rule while you were doing same thing, but we did have one teacher who actually hit one child with a blackboard duster the lump on his head was the size of and egg.

Best part was he told his parents he had fallen down, never mentioned the teacher.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

That Sky News report has picked on one part of a speech Gove made at a conference and made a big controversial headline of it.

If anyone is interested in education I suggest watching this YouTube video of the whole speech.

You'll find that Gove doesn't say 'England's schoolchildren should have shorter holidays and spend more time in the classroom'. He points out that our current school timetable structure is based on the needs of the economy in the 19th century.

He goes on to point out that in Asia, in particular, their schools are structured to meet the needs of a 21st century economy.

It is at a conference so he's not proposing policy, he's looking to start a discussion.

Funnily enough, one of his main reasons for suggesting longer teaching time is because he thinks teachers are doing a great job and he also says longer teaching time would be most helpful for the current under-achievers.

Try this hypothetical. There is no school system but you have to create one. How likely are you to say children should have the length of holidays they do at present?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Seems a reasonable idea worthy of discussion to me.

We are in a global race to secure our economic position. Education forms a major part of that and needs to be efficient.

No doubt there are some plus and minus points to the idea but we need to do better than we are doing at the moment.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I think there are many things to consider and I welcome Gove putting this out for debate.

Some things spring to mind - a longer day and shorter holidays could well suit the more academic children, but what about the other end of the spectrum, the children who will always find any study difficult? My senses tell me there would be much more indiscipline, particularly among such pupils, due to tiredness/boredom. Kids have limited 'staying power'!

Teachers also, have levels of performance that will be severely tested by extra teaching hours. Teaching seems to be a rather unique working environment, where one is faced by possibly 30+ young people (not all of whom want to learn!), and they are expected to instill knowledge, respect, manners....etc, and anything else society wants to lay on them.

It has to be one of the most stressful occupations, certainly not one I personally would care to do, and to extend their hours would need, I feel, extra teachers recruited.

I know it's easy to trot out the old 'long holidays, short houre' mantra, but how many of us would be willing to put ourselves, for long hours, in a classroom with 30 teenage kids - without a whip and gun?? I wouldn't!!

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Couple of interesting facts from a BBC News report (admittedly 2010 but i think still relevant today).

"Why do Finland's schools get the best results?"

"According to the OECD, Finnish children spend the fewest number of hours in the classroom in the developed world."

Instead of looking towards Asia Gove might do well to study this.

BBC article

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?