We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

British Animal Hero's - last nights TV

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

Was spoilt for me by too many adverts and a presenter whose sycophantic manner grated on my nerves. About 30 minuets of interesting program padded to 2hrs. Anyone else find it that bad?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Regarding animals as heroes is like calling cats cruel or sharks merciless."

Precisely - animals don't have any understanding of consequences, so they're not capable of being heroic. Human beings can foresee consequences and yet overcome their basic instinct for self-preservation and deliberately put themselves in danger to help others. Animals might appear to do the same thing, but it's an illusion.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

F.E Are you telling me that this enter link description here is not true or that even Champion the Wonder Horse is made up enter link description here.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

Skippy and Champion were obviously exceptions to the rule.

Now eat up your cornflakes.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If animals appear to do the same thing, Films not included, then why does a dog stay by his master's grave and pine? I think you have a low esteem to animals' intelligence FE.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"why does a dog stay by his master's grave and pine? "

For the same reason wolves howl and pine when the leader dies.

They are pack animals acknowledging an alpha pack leader, in a dog's case the human.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

morddwyd , correct as usual. Why do they do it even if the master is human? A different species? That's not ingrained in their DNA suerly?

Instinct after thousands of years? Possibly. Intelligence? Nah. We humans only have that gift... of some sorts.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

rdave13

It certainly is not intelligence.

A dog bonding to its human owner is just like a duck chick being brought up by a chicken or extra lambs or piglets being fostered by other mothers.

A dog returning to its owners grave is showing a lack of intelligence because it doesn't have the sense to know the owner won't be there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September