We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

gambling

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, I would like to know your opinions on gambling as a whole. A lottery ticket, an afternoon in the bookies, a trip to Vegas, online betting sites, anything you wish to post.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

carver

What I posted (long after the thread had pretty much run its course on gambling) was 'The descriptions of compulsive gamblers given here remind me very much of alcoholics I've worked with.'

A general comment made about no-one in particular. You, however, responded with 'gambling is nothing like alcohol abuse' and sought to justify that unjustifiable statement via your personal experience.

You also decided that when I said 'alcoholics I've worked with' I was setting myself up as an expert on alcoholism. That then gave you the chance to knock me off the perch you created.

And now we have 'So I wasn't far off in my description of my experience in watching my brother in law and his family and the problems I saw in that family.'

Nobody, nobody has suggested that your experience wasn't your experience. What it is not, though, is the universal experience. That's the point you can't seem to grasp.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

f.m so from your experience, 2 *very * well respected groups who deal with alcoholism have got it wrong.

*I will though say you are wrong *when you say 'Any family member can see that some one has an alcohol problem'. See this book description about high functioning alcoholics.

It's funny that only you could have the experience and knowledge to be able to say they have it wrong.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

carver

Try doing a web search for 'strawman'.

I'm not going to defend arguments I never made in the first place.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement