We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Post Office 1 v 0 Plymouth Council - Who were the losers?

Taff™
Resolved

Likes # 0

Post Office Seal Post Box

The problem is that common sense isn't that common any more but I had to chuckle reading this one. In what was a First Division relegation battle I think the Post Office won but guess who were the losers? In my opinion the Public lost out again.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

That does seem to be the archetypal 'jobsworth' story. It doesn't say, however, whether it was a Royal Mail van or a white van hired in, which happens sometimes.

Nor does it say if there was any human involvement in issuing the ticket. I'm assuming the camera car could have ANPR so the ticket was issued without anyone looking at the vehicle involved.

That would place the obvious failure in common sense back on the designer of the system.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Read here, "council spokesman said it was not normal practice to issue fines to a *Royal Mail * van being used to collect post. He said: “This was obviously an error and an isolated incident and had Royal Mail submitted an appeal, we would have cancelled the fine immediately."

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Storm in a teacup, as they say.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam the Royal Mail soon stamped on the idea of paying

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I do not know how the law works nowadays, but in my days in law enforcement on vehicles, it was a golden rule that vehicles displaying the King Or Queen's crown, and that included Royal Mail vehicle's were exempt in situations like this.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Can the person who issued the ticket be hanged for impeding the Royal Mail and treason then?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I live on the edge of Plymouth and this story does not surprise me. I suspect that Royal Mail have become fed up with the Council which makes in my opinion some ridiculous decisions and seems to have a vendetta against motorists.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I would imagine that the staff delivering to retailers in the town centre hear plenty of complaints about parking enforcement. I wonder if that helped the decision to deal with this in a very public way.

Looking at it through an irony filter, you wouldn't expect the Royal Mail to baulk at having to write a letter.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

fourm member - I wouldn't be surprised if the managers had an axe to grind over parking but perhaps more over the disruption created by road works near their main sorting office which has been a fiasco lasting around 2 years or more.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

The Post Office did write a letter but were unable to send it as they had sealed up the post box:-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...