We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

2 explosions at the Boston Marathon.

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

2 Explosions at the Boston marathon has claimed 3 lives and injured over 100 some serious.

Click Here

Now I believe the London marathon is supposed to be held this Sunday and it must be a massive security problem.

How can you secure a massive site like the London Marathon.

London Marathon to go Ahead

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

3 police officers shot, 1 dead and suspect No1 shot dead. Suspect No 2 on the run.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They've now confirmed that they are the bombing suspects and that No1 is a white caucasian, so it's looking like home grown loonies.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I'm not, as the FE seems to be implying, suggesting that there shouldn't be measures to protect countries from reasonably credible threats. But, many of the threats that get made public are not even vaguely credible.

I suppose you could hope that the intelligence services are creating a bluff to make the sort of amateur cranks who just might do a lot of damage by appearing from nowhere waste their time on attack methods that have no hope of success. It would be comforting to think that.

But, as with everything else, resources are finite. The USA is thought to be spending about $100m a year to fund research to find a vaccine against ricin and to develop detectors. (The figure is fairly reliable because the companies getting the money publish accounts.) Ricin is not a useful terrorist weapon so that $100m could be being spent on real threats unless you think it is money well spent on disinformation.

I take Woolwell's point about needing experts but that's just typical of any situation when corruption might occur. The fact that you can claim you need to employ X because of his experience makes it easier to hide IF X has been helpful to you when a public servant.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

'that No1 is a white caucasian, so it's looking like home grown loonies'

If you stop and think about it, you are jumping towards a conclusion. Just because the dead suspect is white does not mean an Islamic plot is completely ruled out.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Seeing some of the comments, makes me wonder if some of the contributor's are actually scaremongering themselve's, because while they might give their own opinions and perhaps quotes from a search engine, they do not hold the 'behind the scenes' knowledge of events in respect of actual intelligence on the issues.

I don't know if it still applies, but there use to be a procedure that all major police stations had a daily updated warning alert, usually displayed for all personal to see, in a colour coded or number fashion. This was/is based on latest intelligence gatherings. This is not foolproof by any means, and I would image this recent incident as shown this.

The probable fact of all this, is that over the years intelligence may have got far better, and that somewhere,whether local, national or international there are sufficient intelligence reports to perhaps shorten the list to who might be responsible?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I did say 'looking like' fm, but I take your point.

They've now shut down the whole of the public transport system to contain the suspect, told the whole population to stay locked indoors inside the 20 block secure area.

I'm just wondering if they kept the pictures to themselves until the President had left Boston for this reason.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

In the rush of events you can easily say something that looks pretty stupid when you stand back.

According to the Guardian's minute by minute coverage;

'Ed Davis, the police commissioner of Boston, confirmed that they were trying to apprehend a man identified on Thursday night as Suspect Two'

You'd think Mr & Mrs Two would have chosen a different name for their son.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fouem member what Mrs Too wants to call her child is up to her enter link description here or here enter link description here and you didn't even get the spelling correct.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

And don't even mention Mrs Wans son enter link description here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

They would appear to be Chechens who arrived in USA a year ago. If correct US immigration will have some questions to answer and expect immigration/entry to USA to get even more difficult.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...