We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fuel pricing

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Something I read yesterday got me thinking. Can anyone explain why fuel is priced at say £139.9 a litre when 0.9 is not legal tender? And why the minimum purchase is usually 2 litres so if you wanted only a litre you could not actually buy it?

Like this post
cruiser2

Likes # 0

Many years ago, I was told that items were priced at 99p instead of £1.00 was so that the cashier had to open the till which would record the sale. If it was £1.00 the cashier could pocket the coin. It also applies to other total such as £4.99 etc. I always pay at the kiosk. Never use the card reader at the pump. On a slightly different tack, went on Sunday to buy a paper at a local store. Tried to use the self service till. Had the correct change. But it would nopt accept my pound coin. One of the staff came and it would not work for him. He had to get two 50p pieces and use those instead. I did not have any more money with me. Thought afterwards it could have been a conterfeit one.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

You would almost never buy a full litre, rather you buy 30.1L or 52.8L, so you pay 30.1 x 139.9p or 52.8 x 139.9p. Obviously they wouldn't be able to charge 139.9p if petrol was sold in litre bottles.

It's just the same for electricity, 14.1p per unit or whatever

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

People seem to be concerned about about a fraction of a penny here. Bearing in mind that the pump will never be 100% accurate in the amount of fuel dispensed anyway it hardly seems worth bothering with. I do understand Chronos point though.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Just as another example I have renewed my electricity contract at 10.1 p/KWh so pricing in fractions of a penny is not unusual.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If garages were to reduce their prices periodically [by 5p-a-litre, say for example, at weekends between 3pm and 4:30pm ... the time when most football matches are taking place, t'would make it worth while to take advantage of this oppurtoonity to 'fill-up'? [Off subject slightly, Chronus the 2nd, but I hope it's close enough.]

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

bring back gallons, ever tried to fill to an exact amount in pounds the pumps always stop at one penny over

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bring back gallons?

That'll be popular when the price boards start to display £6.35 per gallon.

Why do you think they switched to litres in the first place?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad