We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fuel pricing

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Something I read yesterday got me thinking. Can anyone explain why fuel is priced at say £139.9 a litre when 0.9 is not legal tender? And why the minimum purchase is usually 2 litres so if you wanted only a litre you could not actually buy it?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The pumps can't accurately dispense small amounts and we're apparently all easily fooled into believing that 99p is considerably less than £1

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry as there is no edit function I must make another post to correct my original thread. There should be no £ in front of 139.9 so Quickbeam that should read as .9 of a penny or rather .9 of 1 pence. And .9 of 1 pence is not legal tender. I do understand your point about 99 in a price.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Maybe it's not it's not a legal tender amount in it's own right, but it can be used for calculating the final price.

Looking at a fuel receipt from this morning, I filled up for £70. For that I got 50.76lts at £1.379

Would I have used another garage if they charged a round 138p? I don't think so...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

But that means you have to buy multiples of 10 to round it up to a legal tender.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I would imagine that its all to do with marketing and 'rounding off' to the next figure, and how people think that they are getting a bargain?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

We let ourselves be fooled and there's no easy way out of that. As you know, the 138 is always a lot bigger than the 99.

As you drive up you see the 138 sooner that the 99. And you respond to that.

If a retailer decided to bite the bullet and price at 139 he'd find everyone was stopping at the 138.99 down the road.

It's just a fact of life.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Many years ago when old money was still around a survey was done that foud out you got many more sales if the price was say £5.99 rather than £6.00. It was also to stop staff stealing. Complete £ no need to ring it up just pocket it. 99p and you had to ring it on the till to give change. of corse then it was £5 19 shillings and 11 pence

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I remember when furniture shops always priced items in guinneas. Few if any customers actually had such coins.

From memory a guinnea was 21 shillings so goods were actually 5% dearer than they appeared at first glance.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry but you all seem to be missing the point here as .9 of one pence is not legal tender. I am not talking about 99p which is of course legal tender as the nine can easily made up using 2p's or 1p's and a 5p and a mixture of all three but .9 of one pence cannot be.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

I'm with you on this one Chronos the 2nd and I think Quickbeam proves your point nicely. 50.76lts @ 137.9p = £69.99.8 which cannot be achieved using legal tender so it's rounded up. Now there's a surprise!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer