We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where are the modern Pre-Fabs?

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I wonder why, in these days of computing design and engineering improvements why we haven't seen an enterprising youngster turning out thousands of prefab houses to fill the gap in the housing market?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

Never had any trouble with planning when we used timber frame, but we always used brick finished, anyway. I've never been told that timber frame construction was looked at differently by planning, normally the firm make the kit to your own architect's instructions, and he should be aware of any planning restrictions affecting the proposed build. They also supplied full engineering certificates for the building control department.

The last one we did was a family sized three bedroom house, two storey, and the kit cost just under £20k with natural wood finishes and fitted wardrobes. It took four of us just a week to have it wind and watertight (with the help of a hired telehoist!).

The outer brickwork came to about £5k (labour and materials), and we certainly didn't feel that was any particular drawback - considering that it cost well over £6k just to get water, drainage and electric connected!. It's all relative, I suppose.

ps I thought most timber-frame houses had brick outers, except for 'log-cabin' type used as chalets etc (which I could understand planning being a bit particular about)?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Timber framed houses have excellent thermal properties as there's not a large mass of blockwork to heat up before the rooms feel warm.

On the debit side, the temperature gradient between the inside and the outside could lead to condensation between the walls (interstitial) and to prevent this, a vapour barrier needs to be maintained in tact. The timberframe will rot otherwise.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Just wait a while, the next generation of prefab is coming to a printer near you!! 3D house

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings