We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where are the modern Pre-Fabs?

Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I wonder why, in these days of computing design and engineering improvements why we haven't seen an enterprising youngster turning out thousands of prefab houses to fill the gap in the housing market?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You can buy House packs but whether you would be allowed to build one in your street probably not.

Mind you the bigger the pack and more expensive ones might be allowed.

The new prefabs sound like a very good idea.It would ease the house shortage.

A good idea so will put you to the top of the class but will you still come on here once you have made your millions selling them.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not like the old prefabs but prefabs none the less.

Click here

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

They are, complete with air conditioning.

See here.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bingalau

See my eMail re RV!!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The new prefabs sound like a very good idea.It would ease the house shortage."

All new buildings have to meet the requirements of the building regulations, and must also comply with planning laws. That makes it much more difficult to come up with cheap, ready-made dwellings. You can buy plenty of kit-build houses, but cheap they are not.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

As FE says there are many planning 'hurdles' to get past for any new home development as well as building regs.

Timber-framed kit houses do save a lot of erection time, because all parts are engineered in the factory and should fit together easily (as long as you have access to a very big hammer, for the delicate finishing touches!!) - and, so, can be cost effective, and importantly, designed to your own specifications.

Of course the site cost, the foundations and the 'services' all add greatly to any costings and these are needed regardless of whether 'pre-fab' or conventional build.

But I think the main drawback of mass-produced units would be that people nowadays don't really want identical 'boxes' to live in if they are buying a place for themselves.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Past evidence would suggest that we can't manufacture "system houses" without major structural faults coming to light some time later.

You would think with modern technology and the ability to manufacture to much tighter tolerances than is possible with a conventional bricks and mortar house that such houses would be far superior, but it's not the case.

It may be of course that they were built to a tight budget to satisfy local authority finances.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There is a program on Freeview Quest called 'How its made', and recently it was showing the construction of 'Pre-Fabs', and by looking at that program the technology is certainly there. The program took you from the first stage in the workshop to final construction on site, with the then owners taking occupation. It could not have looked much simpler.

This particular program was US based, but apparently Sweden and even a company in the UK have become involved.

Perhaps not in the same league as 'Pre-Fabs', but PortoCabin have been around a very long time, and they seem to provide various accommodation designs, as do the living and accommodation blocks on perhaps oil rigs. I do note though, that sea containers also have their uses for 'part time' accommodation use?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"It could not have looked much simpler."

It always looks simple on TV.

Timber-framed house kits have been on the market for many years, and there are lots of companies in the business of supplying and erecting these houses all over the world. In general terms costs are reasonable, and there are advantages in terms of speed of construction, which can make a big difference in cost, quite apart from the benefits of time saved in bad weather conditions.

You obviously have to pay for the land on which the house is built,and connect it to mains services, but you need to do that for all houses. Where the problems can arise with timber framed construction is in getting planning approval - if you have to pay bricklayers to put a facing brick external skin on your new house to meet planning demands the cost savings can rapidly disappear.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I was self Employed for near on 40 years as a Builder, though my Trade I was a Joiner Cabinet Maker. Traditional built houses, as opposed to Prefab type buildings puts Mortgage providers off. though I have nothing against Timber, you only have to look in the US at some of the old Houses as also in Australia. They can last just as long, as long as you can keep termites at bay

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia