We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Debt Write off

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I seem to recall reading sometime back that if you don't pay a debt for 6 years it is written off and they can't take you to court. Am I right and if so does anyone know the Act and Section

Like this post
alB*

Likes # 0

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Are you getting confused with the HMRC rules that say if the cant find a problem in the last 6 years they cant go back any further?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

not according [to this ]1

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Wrong, I think it relies more on whether or not they can find you.

If no one has tried to contact you about the debt then it becomes unenforceable unless you owe money to the IRS.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You are referring to statute barred and the limitations act. But it is not as simple as just being written off. This is an ad site but it does explain the process Money aware. The best advice for those with debt problems is to seek expert advice early eg from Citizen's Advice as those who try to muddle through often end up with even more problems.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Thanks the contract was obtained by the salesman knowingly lying to me and I have always told them that I will not pay this as he committed a criminal offence under the fraud act. Once I have explained it to the debt companies they have refused to handle the matter. Now getting letters from the 5th one. 6 years are up so I will ignore them and see if they go to court thinking I don't know about this

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Why didn't you get the contract cancelled? Suggest you seek expert advice which we cannot give here without knowing the full circumstances. Just ignoring it is like burying your head in the sand. You are risking bad credit ratings and a CCJ.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Like what's already been stated, don't just hope things will go away, they most likely will not. Get the paperwork together and make an appointment with the CAB or local legal advice centre, if you town provides these services.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I'm not sure if this applies in your case, Kevscar1, but 6 years after a debt is defaulted on, it will drop off your credit record whether or not it had been paid. This assumes that it was on your credit record in the first place.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Woolwell I wrote telling them I was cancelling the contract due to the illegal way it was obtained sent it recorded, they never replied, just ignored me. Midgetninja as long as you do not acknowledge the debt in those 6 years and I have explained the circumstances to every deby company saying I have no intention of paying for this reason they cannot take legal action. They can still chase mebut I will just keep refusing

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses