We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Making a Complaint - Would You?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Perhaps another topic or discussion for the weekend?.

No matter what the problem or issue, would you complain and possibly go further or just "get on with your life" in the hope that the issue might resolve itself?.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you do not get any redress from the so called customer service department and British Gas this is aimed at you, then an email to senior management can work wonders. Far better deal and a nice chunk of compensation.

I also had problems with the Sunday times you took double my monthly subscription for three months and just refused to sort out the problem. I eventually got hold of someone very senior who apologised profusely, repaid my cash, gave me three months half price subscription and £30 Amazon vouchers.

Always keep a record of date, times and name of the customer service operator if you phone. Likewise with any emails and letters. I tend to note the gist of any conversation also particularly if they offer something.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I don't make a habit of complaining and often put up with less than ideal service rather than spoil an occassion.

However I'm sometimes sent "How did we do?" type surveys and don't mind responding with a critique.

The last was when we purchased a new car and the survey was sent by the manufacturer.

The salesman rang a few weeks later asking why we were so dissatisfied. I replied that I wasn't and could he be more specific. He didn't have sight of the survey results, only that he'd been told we weren't pleased.

From memory I'd been asked among other things if the salesman discussed optional extras to which I responded "No".

Had he discussed future servicing arrangements. Again "No".

At no point did the survey ask me if I actually wanted the salesman to discuss these topics. The answer would have been "No" and the salesman was probably a very good judge of what I wanted, but my answers were construed as a criticism.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

oresome

I think that sort of thing happens quite frequently. The point would be, how did the salesman fair in front of his bosses?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What gets me more than anything, and its been mention in the thread, is how some of the bigger organisation use multi routes in responding to any comments, suggestions or complaints.

In the recent case I mentioned, I was dealing with a multi-national global banking institution, yet my contacts seemed to be from various destinations, which resulted in different actions or results from people addressed as manager's or advisor's. In that particular incident, it took attempts (by me) to try to get an answer, before some form of procedure appeared to kick-in, that something was wrong with supposed customer care and failures.

How many times have people complained, including on this forum, about their ISP and trying to get help and advice. Then found that they have ended up with an overseas call centre, whose help as been no more that reading off a script on a screen, with the then increase of getting more frustrated and possibly annoyed with someone, who is possibly only carrying out instructions from higher levels.

This brings me to another subject of 'Training Purpose' recordings, which we seem to get before commencing with a telephone conversation. Twice when making a complaint I have referred to these recording as evidence. On one occasion the company actually found the recording, and totally agreed that the advisor required 'retraining'. On the recent complaint, I was informed that it was impossible to locate the recording because of the size of the organisation. Now considering that this organisation might have on-screen evidence to my account at the time and day of contact, I find it hard to believe that they were now stating that it was impossible to find the recording or the actions of the first two people I made contact with. Perhaps it was actually for training purposes only,and not for any evidence gathering?.

Will I continue complaining, you bet yourself I will, and more so if I consider an injustice as been done.

The weekends nearly over, so will tick this resolved

Like this post  
HondaMan

Likes # 0

As in all things, we get what we deserve whether it be poor service, shoddy goods, whatever. My view is that if you feel strongly enough to complain then do so, but don't be fobbed off by the standard excuses, keep complaining until you are completely satisfied with the response.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

HondaMan, I totally agree what you say, but some people accept the very first answer, probably because they regard the 'trained' person who they are dealing with, will give the correct answer?.

Perhaps to take this a little further. I had cause to use Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act on three occasions. Two of those occasions, I was met with a "nothing to do with us" instant reply. It was only when I responded as to how they came to "nothing to do with us", did I receive an apologetic response from senior level management, blaming the less senior person.

All three claims were eventually met and resolved in full.

I wonder if that still goes on today, and if so, how many people accept the first answer, and by doing so, miss out of what is possibly legally theirs?.

But taking a complaint further, like the small claims court, can also have a final and concerning refusal. You can go to the small claims court, win the case, and then have the other party not honour their agreement. At that stage, you either give up, or spend further time and money in trying to get just rewards. Which may also fail, with no apparent easy, simple or straight forward re-address.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The worst ones are the complaints you can't make.

Rant alert - feel free to ignore.

I went out to bring in the emptied recycling bin only to find the garden covered in litter. It had blown out of the bin.

When I checked it was also along the verge down the road. Took me about 20 minutes to pick it all up and the bin is about a third full just with what was strewn.

Will I complain? No.

Why not?

Because if I just contact the council they will tell me it can't happen because the transfer system to empty the bin into the truck is designed to avoid it.

If I make the complaint specific, the operative can always say it was like that and someone must have opened the bin during the night so I'll get no satisfaction and have a refuse collector who has it in for me.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

I raised a similar issue with our local council. In my case it was requesting information as to why the 'operatives' do not carry weeping brushes and shovels, especially if they have made the mess?.

Apparently the cleaning up operation is for the street cleaners, and if the mess is great, they will attend much quicker, if reported and put on the priority rosta?.

I also pointed out, had I dropped a small sweet paper or wrapper , then I might expect a £60 fine. Did the same rule apply to council workers or sub-contractors. Apparently the council stated "Not", in fact they thought I was being anti-social in raising the question?.

Funny old world really?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

weeping brushes = sweeping brushes?.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I complained to Sainsburys that one of the grocery offers detailed on their web-site wasn't available in store at the offer price.

The response was that some offers on the web-site aren't current until the following day as on-line shoppers won't get their groceries picked till then when the offer is in force.

Presumably the offers are taken off the site a day early if we follow this logic through and using the site as we do to compile a shopping list prior to collecting in store ourselves is subject to mis-information.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...