We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Making a Complaint - Would You?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Perhaps another topic or discussion for the weekend?.

No matter what the problem or issue, would you complain and possibly go further or just "get on with your life" in the hope that the issue might resolve itself?.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

How long is a piece of string?

I do make complaints if I think it would be helpful to me or to the supplier.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"No matter what the problem or issue" - The nature of the problem or issue does affect how I respond. It depends on whether I regard it as trivial or not. To a certain extent it depends on how much time I have.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Without a doubt and frequently do.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I complained [along with my neighbour] when our tiled verandahs were resurfaced to be made to look like 'a lunar landscape'.

Thankfully, everything is now back to normal [ie. retiled]; the cost of the work being waivered by the local housing association. [~£400]

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Absolutely, particularly at poor service from wherever it comes from. But the likes of a government department of my local NHS trust is not for the faint hearted. The former as in the DWP has 50+ call centres scattered the length and breadth of the UK and you are guaranteed not to get the same one twice. So once you have phoned and set out your problem it is then up to the agent the other end to then input the information into the system so anyone else accessing your file can instantly know what the problem is and what help has been given in the past. In theory, in practice each time you phone you have to go though everything again. Nightmare.

My local NHS is quite fond of, how shall we put it delicately, being economic with the truth.

But I have become quite experienced with these bureaucracies and will use the Freedom of Information Act to support my complaint.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

To add my bit, I am one of those people who thinks if an injustice as been done, then I would make it my duty for find how this injustice could be corrected.

I have on many occasions gone to various levels within organisations, if I find that the first responses have not been correct or proper, and in a vast amount of cases, when I have done this, it's actually provided results and rewards. So in my opinion, it does pay to complaint, comment or suggest, and possibly going to the 'right' person, if everything else seems impossible or ignored.

Take a typical example for me. A couple or so weeks ago, I was 'treated' to a very poor telephone customer care service response. Through that I decided to make a formal complaint or suggestion in writing. Now I do not know what happened behind the scenes, but I had a letter response that virtually told me nothing, except the manager dealing with the problem had closed the case (?). I in response, requested why the case had been closed, as I had not been provided with answers.

Result of that letter, more senior people have made contact with me, and have apologised about the way things developed. I never asked for any apology, but I got three, one via two telephone calls, one via a rapid response letter, and the third by a very nice cash 'reward' placed straight into my bank account within an hour of receiving the telephone apology.

Not only that, but while discussing the original issues, I added a further issue that had occured during that day. Result of that, was a promise that an email would be sent immediately to a manager concerned, so the problem could be rectified for other customers and users of the service.

The same seems to apply with other complaints or suggestions I have raised in the past, so perhaps for me, its well worth the effort and time, and perhaps by doing so, as benefited others as well?.

My motto: Always be polite, and never say never!.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Yes especially if they having knowingly and deliberatley shafted you. Just waiting for my Judicial Review now

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Depends. Often, it's not worth the personal hassle to complain, and I'd rather not waste my time & effort... better things to do.

Sometimes it's worth it, either for the personal satisfaction or gain that I'd expect to get, or for the fact that things might not go wrong for somebody else.

Mostly, I think too many people complain rather than do something positive... and complaining is less-often rewarding than people tend to think.

Having said that, in the distant past, on Radio 4, there was a chap called Jasper Greigson (I think) who was a moneysaver & campaigner long before Martyn Lewis cornered the market. The story goes (apocryphal or not) that he was bored one weekend, and had completely run out of valid issues to complain about...

So he wrote, for the first and only time, to Harrods...

He wrote in terms of distress, he wrote pained at their non-response, he wrote that he'd had enough, and could stand it no more, and that having already said all he could on the matter, he could no longer find words to describe how he felt at being let down so many times, and could they please, please, please draw the matter to a final conclusion.

They wrote back. They apologised profusely. They apologised for their lack of response, and the poor manner in which he'd been treated. They agreed with him it had all gone on too long, and that they'd attend to it as soon as possible. And they enclosed a considerable number of gift tokens for all the trouble he'd been put to.

The issue at heart was never mentioned by Harrods, and never mentioned by Jasper.

Now, that's successful complaining. Now, what's the address for IDG Publications?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I know some people make a career, or at least a leisure pastime, of complaining. I try to be more pragmatic. Knowing how often I fail to achieve the standard I would like I recognise that there will always be failings.

I think it is important to determine which of those is significant enough to warrant taking action.

Would I write to the local council to point out that the crew that spent this week patching up the road out of the village missed two small areas? No, I wouldn't.

Did I complain when a lifeguard at the pool in Berwick turned on the wave machine and nearly drowned my wife? You bet I did.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I simply cannot be bothered to complain as previously I've been passed around so much to different depths I have almost forgotten my complaint

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers