We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why is that..........

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

No matter how careful I am whenever I remove something from a box, by that I mean something with several component parts, say a drive bay fan controller with thermal sensors that it is virtually impossible to get it back in the box as neatly as it came out?

I wanted to replace the Bitfenix Recon which comes with 5 thermal sensor cables,5 fan cables, small packet containing sticky pads and screws and a small user booklet back into it's box. I have managed it after a fashion but it certainly is not as neat as if new.

Are boxes designed with just enough space for the contents but these contents must be folded and placed precisely?

Oh and don't get me started on the plastic packaging who's sole aim is to rip the skin of your hands to shreds.

Or is this another of life's mysteries?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I can sympathise with you, I have the same problem with any attempt to replace some thing back into a box.

Personally I believe it's an attempt to stop you sending items back you don't want.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Simples. You do not have the small hands or dexterity of a coolie.

Boxes are made s small as possible - cubic meterage is expensive.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If the cubic meterage of packaging is so significantly expensive, why do software CDs come in family cornflake sized boxes?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam "why do software CDs come in family cornflake sized boxes?"

why is that, I've just received 2 games from Amazon a day apart with enough space in each package to get about a 500 games in, then that space is filled with that air space stuff.

But a PSU that I sent back the box didn't have enough space for all the cables.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Quickbeam Do they? All the ones I have bought havent had boxes! The bulk ones I buy for the company just come in their clamshell boxes 50 to a box with not room for packing.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

wiz-king that's because they are already empty and the space is already on the CD'S, games haven't any room so they have to leave the space outside of the CD.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

carver

lol.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Although I agree with some of Amazons packaging, but my query concerns the actual packaging that the item comes in.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

carver Ah Amazon - they have a standard range of boxes so that they can buy them cheaper, likewise they have standard contract prices for outgoing goods box size otherwise the would have to do volumetric charging for each package they send out.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The way products are packaged is influenced by several factors, among which are:-

The need to protect fragile items.

To save space in the case of items which are irregularly shaped.

To enable multiple items to be enclosed in larger shipping containers

To protect vulnerable items from being harmed by damp, heat, cold, or crushing.

To stop unauthorised tampering or theft, and to make it easy to tell if the pack has been opened.

To make the item readily identifiable.

To make it attractive to prospective purchasers.

Some of those factors apply to all packaged products, and the need to economise on shipping size and weight drives manufacturers to design the smallest pack that can safely and attractively enclose their products. Retailers who distribute orders via third party carriers need to guard against accidental damage in transit, and possibly to conceal the identity of consignments which consist of high-value products.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers