We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

More of a question on IT practices?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

This is a question of curiosity more than anything else.

We are often and perhaps more so now, told that IT and perhaps transactions, communications on-line are the positive way forward to the future?.

Now over the past few months, I have personally noticed and possibly been involved with a few 'concerns' about this subject, and some of the questions and answers being furnished on this subject.

As examples of my own experiences: Being informed by a major global banking institution that they do not support Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, but will only support Internet Explorer "because of their systems"?.

Being informed that "there is a known problem", but no time scale as been made for fixing it?.

Companies that request or state that you use their method of on-line customer care contact, and not your method of sending emails. I tend to find that trying to get print-outs, can be a serious problem when using companies own contact systems. Which might lead to a one sided affair in any later disputes?.

The lists can be endless and perhaps very alarming:

So what have you found, any of the examples of above or others that you would like to share. And what do you do or would do about it, perhaps making life more easier or a more of an adventure?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The simple fact is, like it or not, that our day to day lives are increasingly influenced by, or linked to the internet. There are lots of people who don't have anything to do with the internet, but they become fewer as each year passes; we are moving inexorably towards the time when we are a fully connected society.

In times past there were just as many irritations when dealing with retailers and large organisations, it's just that they were an accepted aspect of life - people were used to the fact that letters took days - sometimes weeks - to be answered, or that phone calls were not answered, or promises of call-backs not kept.

Because we use the internet we have slowly learnt that most things happen very rapidly - goods mostly arrive within a day or so, and emails are generally answered in a similar time frame. Obviously there are frustrations, but by and large I believe our lives have been enhanced by the internet, and by IT facilities in general.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

But what are your views, when say a global banking institution tells you that their systems do not support Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefoz, and they support neither?.

Or that a major establishment, states that you must use only their contact methods for a possible response?.

Surely, that's not the way of progress or enticement?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think each company has to work out their best method of contact tailored to the type of security systems they have in place. Can't really expect any company to be able to guarantee security for every method of contact. Too much malware, spam and exploits about for that. What if someone's pc is infected (as many are) and sends infected spam to all in their address book? Would be a nightmare for companies that are on the receiving end.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

On the browser choice one, I assume their site security is only thought to be fully secure with one browser. For someone like a bank making website changes is very involved so they may not have fully tested other browsers, yet. But it is something I would expect them to be working on.

As for contact, I can fully understand that. Simple email is too insecure to accept that you are who you appear to be. You wouldn't want them to email your balance to you just because someone appearing to be spuds asked for it.

Of course, you would think there would be little harm in answering an email saying 'What are your Easter opening hours?' but somewhere between those two needs a judgement.

Rather than having staff make that judgement, the bank says 'we don't do email' and I think that is perfectly fine.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It is bound to happen, there are no up to date workable minimum standards for websites. Browser manufactures do their own thing to try and make their browser better, faster and more gimmicky (customer friendly).

So as a rule of thumb I keep one computer up to date and my spare one has older versions of browsers and Office programs in case I have this problem.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features