We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Could You manage without a Laptop / PC

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Morning all, my son and partner have just moved into a new house on a large housing development.

They have been there eleven weeks now and applied to have the phone connected immediately the house was finished. Before they moved they used there laptops daily in fact his partner needed to use hers for work as she could work from home.

As yet they have had two days wasted waiting in for BT.

I went to see them a couple of days ago and I said I would be lost without been on line and they agreed it was tough for for a few weeks but they have found a work round and use a 3G stick for important usage only. They don’t really miss using laptops any more and have stopped pushing to get the BT line into the house it seems they can manage with there mobiles.

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

chub_tor

"Having paid for "free" anytime calls with BT I am now beginning to realise that this may be false economy as more and more friends and family expect me to call their mobile numbers which are not free and in fact they are damned expensive."

Look at talktalk.

I get 1000, that's one thousand minutes to any mobile for £5 a month.

Keeps the wife happy ;-)

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

As to can I do with out laptop or any internet access, yes. We make a rule never to take anything but the basic mobile phone when we have our 2 weeks holiday. We usually pick a remote cottage and go walking and touring.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"they are in it to make money"

As is any business, that's why they exist!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If I were given a [hypothetical] ultumatum ' It's either the potted plants or the computers that have to go ? ' ie one or t'other ...... no contest!

... Laptops / PCs / Internet would have to go [pronto].

That would narrow it down to beer or plants ... a tricky one!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Housebound, only been out this year I have absolutely no need of a mobile. My desktop has a 50Mb/s download speed tell me any dongle that can achieve that and no I couldn't do without my computer now

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It's fine if you live somewhere with decent mobile coverage, but surfing the internet on a mobile where I live is painfully slow, with the phone often popping into standby before a page loads.

I'm lucky though, as my part of the sticks has decent ADSL speeds, so I can work from home, run two PCs and my partner can watch a film online all at the same time, and fingers cross we'll be able to get 1Gbs fibre broadband next year, so I'll also be able to pull my website from the hosting service and run it from home

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Should the question be live without Internet ? With a smart phone and iPad my laptop has been collecting dust for 2 years only to be used when working on large spread sheets.

Noldi

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I have a bog standard Phone it texts and makes calls thats it.

Me I couldn't do with out my laptop I find I communicate more with friends and family the reason for that is the spell check.

I spell like I speak in a Yorkshire dialect so its a boon to me and I prefer an email rather than a phone call. (A bit deaf)

I shop from it read reviews and see who has the best deals, the TV can go but not my laptop.

Keep up to date with my interests and have a chance to read opinions here and the rest of the world.

In summer however I have a work shop and that's priority then and even then I am looking for tips hints and suggestions on what ever I may be doing its opened a new world of ideas for me.

Its become part of my life for information. Sad I know.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

mobile for email and the good old pen and paper could i live without a pc yes

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made