We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Could You manage without a Laptop / PC

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Morning all, my son and partner have just moved into a new house on a large housing development.

They have been there eleven weeks now and applied to have the phone connected immediately the house was finished. Before they moved they used there laptops daily in fact his partner needed to use hers for work as she could work from home.

As yet they have had two days wasted waiting in for BT.

I went to see them a couple of days ago and I said I would be lost without been on line and they agreed it was tough for for a few weeks but they have found a work round and use a 3G stick for important usage only. They don’t really miss using laptops any more and have stopped pushing to get the BT line into the house it seems they can manage with there mobiles.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'course not, silly question.

Ain't it?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Well I managed for over seventy years without one, so I am sure I could still do so.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

But would you need to dust the abacus off?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 1

Ex plorer to me one of your key sentences is "have stopped pushing to get the BT line into the house it seems they can manage with there mobiles." And that seems to be a growing trend; both my daughter in the States and my son over here in Essex no longer have land lines. Instead they rely mainly on their mobile phones and secondly on tablets with 3G dongles for email and internet.

Having paid for "free" anytime calls with BT I am now beginning to realise that this may be false economy as more and more friends and family expect me to call their mobile numbers which are not free and in fact they are damned expensive.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

This has come up before, and quite recently.

Yes I could, but why would I want to?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Considering that I purchased a laptop that was loaded with the latest version of Windows Vista, goes to show how long ago was that. Hardly use the thing, and it will most likely remain like that.

But coming back to internet connection, this particular laptop as never liked internet connections :O(

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

I suppose it is all a matter of need. I certainly have no real need of a computer. I send and receive Emails, post on a few Internet Forums, no not computer related once. As someone said earlier I am old enough to remember the days before home computing so I managed then and I could manage again.

My daughter however works part of her week from home as does her husband. So they obviously need their computers. My son also uses a computer for his work so again he would be lost without one.

The time will probably come when life without a computer will be not just unthinkable but impossible. Thankfully most of us will be long since gone by then.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Probably, but I'll keep a desktop until they become very hard to get hold of, by which time any issues I'd have without one would probably be solved anyway .

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I can't think of a reason why I would want to manage my life without a laptop, but I suppose that - at a push - I could just about do it.

Nobody can run an efficient business life with just a mobile phone, however.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My Daughter just uses 3G T.Mobil for last three years a she did not want to shell out for the BT line connection though its in the house, its the exchange they connect, and they are in it to make money

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...