We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you get extradited from a privately owned island?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I think the thread title really says it all. If I own an island but commit a crime serious enough to warrant extradition in another country, could I be extradited from my island?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fourm member

" ships in international waters" are routinely boarded by security people - eg anti piracy patrols.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

I know that you don't rate Wikipedia, but you might find some interesting information there about Radio Caroline and "pirate radio stations based on ships"?.

Wiki seems to suggest Radio Caroline was "Unlicensed by any government for most of its early life",

There's quite a lot on the internet, including http://www.mikekemble.com/caroline/caroline4.html

Now you might ask, what does Radio Caroline and similar vessel's have to do with "Can you get extradited from a privately owned island?". A very interesting point. My thoughts might be on the lines that the discussion was that they (ship radio stations or island) were privately owned and the law or change of law, had to find ways and means of deciding their fate?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spuds

"Unlicensed by any government for most of its early life"

Doesn't mean what you think it means.

If Panama didn't have any control regime over ships broadcasting radio signals the MV Caroline could operate 'unlicensed' but within the laws of its registry.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

fourm member

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the link suggestions I provided mention two Radio Caroline's?.

If a ship or vessel is "Unlicensed by any government", then surely that means what it exactly states, but I will bow to your obvious superior knowledge on this subject, and perhaps not think out to loud?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

"Now you might ask, what does Radio Caroline and similar vessel's have to do with "Can you get extradited from a privately owned island?".

Well yes, and the answer is 'nothing'. A ship, even when anchored, is not remotely the same as an island, either for practical or legal purposes.

"My thoughts might be on the lines that the discussion was that they (ship radio stations or island) were privately owned and the law or change of law, had to find ways and means of deciding their fate?."

Your thoughts may well be along those lines, but you would be wrong if you think that there's any similarity between the two. A ship, whether anchored or moving is subject to international maritime laws on the high seas, and additionally to the maritime laws of the nation in whose territorial waters it might sail or anchor. The same laws do not apply to islands - privately owned or otherwise.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spuds

'If a ship or vessel is "Unlicensed by any government", then surely that means what it exactly states'

I think any reasonable person would understand that, in the context, "Unlicensed by any government", refers to having a licence to broadcast radio signals. It is so self-evident that ships are governed by the laws of the country in which they are registered that the authors didn't feel the need to explain that point.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"the authors didn't feel the need to explain that point."

First rule of management - that which is not written down has not been said!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...