We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can you get extradited from a privately owned island?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I think the thread title really says it all. If I own an island but commit a crime serious enough to warrant extradition in another country, could I be extradited from my island?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Unless your island was a sovereign state in its own right then the question of extradition would depend on the laws of the state that included your island.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Bang goes that idea then.lol.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You could always go to The Principality of Sealand and seek asylum....

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

If you own your island and it is in international waters then you can not be extradited from it legally.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

carver

Two problems with your comment;

1. Are there any islands that have not been claimed as part of another country's territory? Given that the tiniest rock can claim a large expanse of territorial waters, I doubt it.
  2. If such an island can be found then how do you demonstrate ownership? I.e. who did you buy it from?
Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I suppose if an island pops up in the middle of the Pacific and you claim it first, then it is yours and you don't have to buy it from anybody.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

When that happens there is always a country that argues the island is part of its continental land mass and, therefore, part of its territory.

I can't see the world sitting back and accepting anyone saying 'I saw it first so it is mine'.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's a lot harder to claim an island now than in Captain Cooks day. But hasn't it always been an 'I saw it first so it is mine' rule?

It's just that if you have a bigger navy, you can persuade whoever saw it first, that they must surely have been mistaken!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Chronus - what on earth have you done?! :-)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Purely speculative my good man.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days