We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Not Clever Enough to Tell Lies

fourm member

Likes # 0

My father always said that he was too stupid to lie because you needed to be clever to think of all the ways your lie could be found out.

The Mail, as you would expect, has seen Margaret Thatcher's death as a chance for bashing the BBC. It has complained about left-wing bias in the people asked to comment on her legacy and accused the BBC of a lack of respect by its news staff.

To illustrate this point it showed a picture of newsreader Huw Edwards wearing a pink tie.

However, whoever selected that picture wasn't clever enough to notice that Edwards was also wearing a poppy indicating that the picture came from November and not this week.

It has gone from the site now but this has more detail.

Anyone willing to admit they've been caught out lying because they made a truly stupid error?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

fourm mrmber. Yes it can be hard to keep the mouth shut, as I should have done about WTM's post.

When they have a comedian on in our Navy Club, they usually tell jokes they have garnered from the internet or from E-mails they have recieved. Most of them I have heard before and it is hard to stop yourself coming out with the punch line before they do. I will have to discipline myself not to do so on this forum.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

" Anyone willing to admit they've been caught out lying because they made a truly stupid error".

I suppose everyone makes many stupid errors in their lifetime, but admitting them is a very different thing, especially if you might think that you have a very important status in life. To me everyone is equal no matter their rank and file, and hopefully I and perhaps others of a similar nature might also agree with this?.

I would be one of the first to admit to a stupid error, but I would also be one of the first to defend that assumed error, if someone uses that error to defend their own errors .

The biggest part of admitting is being sincere and honest, and not just using it as an excuse?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

You've misunderstood the question. It isn't about whether people have made errors or not - we all do that.

The question is whether you have been caught telling a lie because you weren't clever enough to cover it up - you made a stupid error that gave the game away.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

"you made a stupid error that gave the game away"

You have lost me there?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I love the Internet.

On Tuesday, the Mail reported some research and included a direct quote from one of the researchers that didn't ring true.

A quick search produced the email address of the university concerned and, today, I heard from one of her colleagues that the Mail had 'over-interpreted' the results. That's a nice euphemism.

I wonder how long it will take for newspapers to learn that, if they don't do their own fact-checking, someone else will.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September