We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Not Clever Enough to Tell Lies

fourm member

Likes # 0

My father always said that he was too stupid to lie because you needed to be clever to think of all the ways your lie could be found out.

The Mail, as you would expect, has seen Margaret Thatcher's death as a chance for bashing the BBC. It has complained about left-wing bias in the people asked to comment on her legacy and accused the BBC of a lack of respect by its news staff.

To illustrate this point it showed a picture of newsreader Huw Edwards wearing a pink tie.

However, whoever selected that picture wasn't clever enough to notice that Edwards was also wearing a poppy indicating that the picture came from November and not this week.

It has gone from the site now but this has more detail.

Anyone willing to admit they've been caught out lying because they made a truly stupid error?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

You not only have to be clever but you need a very good memory to lie, a better memory than that needed to tell the truth.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

When my neice Elaine was a little girl aged about 5, we used to kid / trick her by asking if she was telling a lie by demanding " Stick out your tongue, to see if your telling the truth. "

If she had been naughty her tongue would remain in her mouth, if she had been a good girl [ie. telling the truth] her tongue would instantly shoot out ;o]

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

"Oh, what tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive"

Sir Walter Scott 1771-1832

I always try to tell the truth , that way when recalling what was said I stick to my recollection without having to think about it!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Brumas sorry but that is what my dad told me as a child, so it can't have been that other bloke who said it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

My friend got caught going down a one way street in the wrong direction.

Policeman stopped him and said,Did you not see the Arrows and my friend said I never even saw the Indians.

Policeman saw the funny side and let him off with a warning.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Jock1e. God, that's an oldie. Got to be from before your time, so I think you are telling a "Porkie"...

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Nope that's what he told me.

So not me telling the lies.I just believed him.

He was a bit of a comedian mind you always joking.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

That little diversion raises an interesting side point.

If Jock1e's friend had told that story to Bing.alau what should Bing.alau's response be?

Do you say 'heard it' and risk upsetting your friend if they really believe it happened to them? Especially as failing to lie well suggests that one is not very clever.

People do personalise stories and genuinely come to believe the personalisation. I've heard stories like that. You get told about something that 'happened in our village in Devon' when you can prove, from written reports, that it happened in Australia.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I once lied to a colleague who asked me if I had heard anything about her being included in a group of people destined for redundancy. I had, but I repeatedly told her I had heard nothing, when all along I knew she was going, and I knew that she trusted me. I just couldn't bring myself to give her news that she dreaded, but she found out that I lied to her, and never spoke to me again.

I was plagued with guilt for a long time, and remembering it always brings that feeling back. The incident taught me that it's usually best to tell the truth, even if it does cause some distress. There are exceptions to the rule, but not many.

'Does my bum look big in this?' is probably one of them.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

FE. Is that what you ask your wife?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...