We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Baroness Thatcher

Flak999
Resolved

Likes # 1

The BBC have just announced the news that Baroness Thatcher died this morning from a stroke BBC announce death of Baroness Thatcher

In my opinion the greatest British Prime Minister since Churchill.

My thoughts are with her family, apparently she is to be afforded a state funeral on a par with that of the Queen Mother and Princess Diana.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

In my opinion, amongst all her achievements this pragmatic decision stands out as an indication that she was willing to listen to advice and act on it.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Took a while for such a thread to appear.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I [and I'm sure many others will be ] grateful for her policy of 'Right To Buy' one's council house.

PS. Janet Brown was always very good at impersonating Mrs Thatcher, but she was never liked in Scotland because of the 'Poll Tax'.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Flak999

According to the BBC report

"She will not have a state funeral but will be accorded the same status as Princess Diana and the Queen Mother"

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Yes, it would appear state funerals are reserved for the Monarch, hers will be a ceremonial funeral.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Her politics were divise, but nobody can do anything but admire the way she shook up the world of politics.

Having said that, she had a 'good innings' and we all have to go eventually.

RIP.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Oops, divisive

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

To paraphrase Aitchbee,

"I [and I'm sure many others] am not grateful for her policy of 'Right To Buy' one's council house."

The Poll Tax is not the only reason she is despised in Scotland.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

bluesbrother

Would that be despised by some in Scotland? Or are you putting yourself forward as the voice of a nation?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I don't like MP's (Fullstop). But You have to admire Mrs Thatcher for the way she stuck to her guns.

I believe she had asked not to have a state funeral. I don't now what the rules are regarding this but Mr Churchill certainly had one. I suppose if every prime minister were to have one we would be always having the damn things. Have we got enough Troops and Matelots/RAF Erks etc., to line the route? I doubt it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia