We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Little big man or madman

michaelw

Likes # 0

Should we be afraid of Kim Jong-un?

North Korea could be preparing to conduct a fourth nuclear test, following signs of activity at the country's main testing site, South Korea's unification minister, Ryoo Kihl-jae, said on Monday. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/08/north-korean-nuclear-test-preparations

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Very. He is in an awkward position - if he believes his own rhetoric he is the leader of the best country in the world, if not he knows the army will topple him at the first sign of dissent.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Buy him another pizza and send him to bed.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The problem is deciding what is talk and what is intention.

He made a big thing of re-starting the nuclear programme but, apparently, it will take about six months to rebuild the cooling tower that was dismantled as a sign of good faith when they agreed to stop development. You can't help thinking that it would never get finished.

It is a bit like the school bully. If you taunt him about empty words, he feels he has to hit out.

There was a lot of comment about how he wasn't serious because the joint industrial park, essential to the North's economy, was still open. So, he has to close it.

Only China can stop anything unfortunate happening. All the rest of the can do is goad him into doing that unfortunate something.

Remember that China has a new leadership so the response to this will set the tone for the next ten years in China.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The title might be a little confusing, because if you take the situation seriously, then there are many leaders, now and in the past, who may well fit that title.

Whatever the case, his actions appear to have got the world on edge. The UK and America are 'in range', as are a number of other countries en-route. America as even stepped up its defences, so they must be taking things a little serious. Possibly the previous Cuba with Russia's backing incident is still fresh in some peoples minds, and how that nearly turned?.

Oh to be a world's powerful leader. When the toys get broken, and the tantrums increase, you can always turn to the real thing?.

One thing that I noticed in a new media report yesterday, was the Kim Jong-un holding and using a firearm. I seem to recall that was one of Saddam's and other powerful leader's party pieces, and those people no longer exist!.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

He appears to be trying to bolster his own position, domestically, by inventing possible attacks from the US.

Remembering the conditions that already exist in N.Korea, it is the only way he thinks that his government might keep control. However his actions are a bit less worrying now that even his former ally, China, has evidntly joined the latest UN resolution (the last thing China would need at present is a conflict that would draw them nose-to-nose with the West).

The US is already prepared to react if he was daft enough to start anything, and there will be 'powers' behind Kim who would not fancy annihilation, so I think it very unlikely a nuclear conflict is imminent.

But I do think that we should despatch Quickbeam to the White House, immediately, to advise Obama (and save us from nonsensical posts, of course!!) (;-)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I see fourm member as touch on about China. I was thinking about that (with the earlier reference regarding Russia), but I didn't want to mention that, possibly for obvious reasons?.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

spuds

You say the UK are 'in range' - of what exactly? Are you really convinced N.Korea has a missile capable of reaching us (with a nuclear warhead)?

I have tried to understand your 1-15pm post but have given up *" I see fourm member as touch on about China."*

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

'I have tried to understand your 1-15pm post but have given up'

I gave up at the 'UK in range' point.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

spider9

Perhaps if you was to read some down market newspapers like the Sun (which apparently states that its "Britain's most popular paper"), you might have the answer to your question. Friday's reference in that newspaper clearly states that from North Korea to the UK is 5400 miles and from North Korea to the USA is 5600 miles, and North Korea have deadly missiles (KN-08)capable of reaching those distances. There is also reference to Musudan (a missile that North Korea hasn't tested yet), which should be capable of reaching 1900 miles away to Guam. Apparently the US is now increasing fortifications there, for possible future actions. If you have any problems about those figures or comments, then take it up with the Sun,they have published them. I am sure they would be pleased to hear from you?.

My 1.15 post, is obviously past your usually thought pattern. My reference was about China's possible involvement, good or bad, but had I said that directly, then no doubt I would have been accused of talking nonsense?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Once again we are beginning to see the two usual experts venting their usual sarcastic views, about someone else's postings.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...