We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you noticed the way that ..

TonyV
Resolved

Likes # 0

TV programmes are now reverting to looking through a letter box. We have now had to retune the sets because of so called improvements to the digital service. Now there are a lot of films that are coming through that appear to be looking through a letter box.

I am not best pleased since have just spent a small fortune buying a new larger Plasma TV and blu-ray recorder and playing machine and find I am looking at something that is far worse than it was a few weeks ago. I expected at least the screen would be full!!

I have had the engineer out from JL to see if he can sort it and he says he'd noticed that more of the adds are now coming out like that, but that there was nothing that he could do.

Again, it seems 1 pace forwards and 14 backwards.

TonyV

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Quickbeam "the sound reproduction on modern TV's is such rubbish"...?

I totally agree! the clarity if that is the correct word is very poor on the last 2 TV's that we have bought (different makes).

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

oresome

It certainly seems more prevalent these days. Before we bought this new set, about a month ago, I can't remember when we had it as a problem. The record system was built in to the TV and worked very well. This new device we are never sure whether it is recording air whether it is controlling the TV through its' remote or whether we are controlling the TV through its' remote.

The Handbook leaves a lot to be desired and I think a degree in maths or theology is required to make sense of it all! Such a shame, the picture is superb, but sound is far from good.

tonyq, I agree with you. The trouble is, I can foresee further expense being involved in buying a sound box or sound bar, to improve sound, but as far as the Aspect Ratio is concerned, I don't think there is anything else we can do. Of course, these points are never mentioned when you buy expensive equipment.

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've just tried some Creative T40 speakers that I use for mp3 music playback, on my TV. They give a better sound, which I would expect, but I won't lose any sleep over the standard TV sound output.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Fair enough, but it does make the point that the sound is improved via an external system.

Incidentally, when I said above, in my 11:47 posting, that the picture is superb, I mean it is when it is on full screen!

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I would expect any external system to improve over standard, mainly because of the better bass reproduction. But for casual viewing I'm happy with standard.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...