We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anything be totally random?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can anything be totally random? an odd title maybe ,can anyone give me an example of something that is 100% random.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

What about finger prints. With over 7 billion people alive to day and counting that's over 70 billion prints.

Its estimated that around 90 to 110 billion humans have ever lived, thats 1000 + Billion prints never repeated and on going. see here

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Don't identical twins have the same prints, or isn't there such a thing as truly identical twins?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The progression of hydration can, though, be predicted using mathematics."

It can be predicted for a given set of circumstances,but predictions cannot accurately take account of random variables, such as ambient temperature changes, water content in the mix, the origin of the Portland cement (its constituents vary from country to country), and the salts present in the sand.

Such calculations might be done, but they would by necessity be incredibly complex and would fill several large books. It's why the construction industry uses a rule of thumb 28 day period for maximum load-bearing strength to develop.

We're dancing on the head of a pin here, and of course in theory you're right - mathematics can do the job. I've had my fill of this however, and like you and others I'm calling it a day.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Quickbeam from what I read even twins have different finger prints.

Its there DNA thats difficult to tell apart, and its thought that its around one in 5 billion that DNA could be replicated in our make up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...