We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anything be totally random?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can anything be totally random? an odd title maybe ,can anyone give me an example of something that is 100% random.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

I've been doing the same but using a spreadsheet because spreadsheets don't get put off by very large numbers.

I was, also, a little less practical than you. I said take the 7 billion people in the world and give them half a second to lay out each sequence.

In the 13.7 billion years the universe has been in existence they would only manage 864,678,240,000,000,000 sequences of the 80,658,175,170,943,900,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 possibles.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

That, of course, is based on laying the cards out intentionally in a different sequence from any other.

That is not the same as simply laying out a random sequence.

In that case, there is no reason why two consecutive sequences might not be exactly the same.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Has a chimpanzee ever actually written the words of Shakespeare??

Infinite Monkey Theorem

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Why does the monkey get all the credit for a theorem that's been written by a chimpanzee?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"written by a chimpanzee" - named Bond... Brook Bond

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

fourm member, "That, of course, is based on laying the cards out intentionally in a different sequence from any other.

That is not the same as simply laying out a random sequence.

In that case, there is no reason why two consecutive sequences might not be exactly the same."

Good we are getting somewhere, so there could be 10 or more consecutive sequences that are exactly the same. The OP was about randomness.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

bumpkin

"so there could be 10 or more consecutive sequences that are exactly the same."

IF and I say IF that where to happen then the odds for it to happen there is not enough zeros in the universe to be able to write the number down.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Carver, of course it won't happen but in theory it could.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

bumpkin

"of course it won't happen but in theory it could."

Following your train of thought through it suggests that randomness can happen, in theory!!

Enough is enough, I'm out.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

bumpkin

Last word and then I'll join spider9.

There is absolutely no connection between two consecutive shuffles.

The possibility of two sequences being repeated is proof of randomness not the reverse.

I can only assume there is some deeper reason for you wanting to maintain that there is only order in the universe.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'