We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anything be totally random?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can anything be totally random? an odd title maybe ,can anyone give me an example of something that is 100% random.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I don't know how random some thing has to be for you to believe in a "random" event but how about this enter link description here.

I have no idea what the odds would be against this happening again but I shouldn't want to volunteer for the job.

The gunman wasn't even aiming at him when the shot was fired, just one round fired and it hit his belt.

So you have shots fired with no particular direction intended, a person who can only hear shots being fired who is moving and a target area of say 8 mm.

I imagine that a mathematician could give you the odds but I couldn't even begin to work it out.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

I was being a trifle faceitious (and not seriously!) when I queried your statement "It is mathematics that keeps the paving stones in place... "

One could say the cement keeps the stones in place, and mathematics explains how to make the cement (with a little help from passing chemists!).

But I understood what you meant - and agreed - but what would life be without some random pedantic humour from time to time?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There's nothing random about the posting of pedantic humour on this site...

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

*Quickbeam *Would that have a response of "oh not it isn't" or "oh no it's not"?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

See, totally predictable!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"mathematics was used to determine how much of each ingredient to use to make the concrete."

The strength and hardness of concrete is determined by three things:-

The size and quantity of the aggregate, related to the amount and grain size of the sand in the mix

The amount of Portland cement added - usually between ten and fifteen percent by volume.

The passage of time. Concrete continues to harden for years, but for all practical purposes it reaches its maximum strength and hardness about 28 days after it is mixed, provided the ambient temperature is around 10 degrees Celsius.

Mathematics is involved in the initial mix calculation, and generally speaking the more cement powder added for a given quantity of aggregate, sand and water, the stronger the resulting concrete. The curing process is a chemical one, however - called hydration - and provided the temperature doesn't fall too low it is unstoppable once started. Concrete will even cure under water.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'The curing process is a chemical one, however - called hydration'

The progression of hydration can, though, be predicted using mathematics.

Maths and chemistry are in everything.

Depending on my mood, I either laugh or curse whenever I hear someone extolling the virtues of some product because it is 'chemical free'.

The notion that anything can be chemical free is as ridiculous as the notion that you can say I don't believe in mathematics.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Paving stones are held down by gravity not mathematics or cement. I meant I did not believe it would take from the beginning of time until now for trillions of shuffled decks of cards to come up in the same order more than once. Of course I believe in mathematics.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

bumpkin "Of course I believe in mathematics."

OK, suppose you chose an order for a 52 card pack.

Now you start shuffling them to try and get your chosen order.

But there are 52 factorial ways of arranging the cards. (52 X 51 X 50 X......X1 - which gives a number close to 800000....with 67 zeros after the 8). If you could shuffle at a rate of 1 shuffle per minute, you'd manage about 500 000 shuffles in a year.( 60X24X364 )

The Big Bang estimates the beginning of time as 14 billion years ago, so in 14 billion years you would do 7 000 000 000 000 shuffles. (using just one pack!!). (500 000 X 14 000 000)

Therefore you would need (800000 to 67 zeros), divided by (7 000 to 12 zeros) packs of cards to be sure of a repetition happening, which would be about 1000... with 55 zeros after the 1.

As 9 zeros represents a trillion, the 55 zeros needed would be trillion, trillion, trillion.........

So, bumpkin, why do you not believe in the mathematics?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer