We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anything be totally random?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can anything be totally random? an odd title maybe ,can anyone give me an example of something that is 100% random.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

A pack of Cards, see here as far as I know you could shuffle a pack of cards all your life 24 hours a day 100.000 x an hour for a million years and it would not be repeated in the same way again. saw some thing on QI about it and it was staggering. Wish I could remember how it was put across including the shuffles.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

here is the combination of the cards thats a lot of randoms.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I was simply wondering if an explanation could be offered for this apparent anomaly?

OK. Another attempt.

The two trains pass through the station within a short time of each other. The chances are the young man arrives at the station during the longer period after the two trains have passed and then catches the first train to arrive which is always the same train running ahead on the timetable.

Only if he arrives at the station in the shorter period between the two trains will this sequence be broken.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

oresome

Exactly!

So one needs to be very careful deciding what events may or may not appear to be completely random.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

But he could have been late arriving at the station because he set off 10 minutes after he was supposed to because he couldn't find his keys, and that "random" event altered the out come.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Ex plorer, that may be the theory but I doubt very much that would happen in reality which is my point really.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Spider9, "Seems you have an ability to be unable grasp the question!!" I understood the question but failed to see its relevance hence my attempt at a lighthearted answer.

"it would continue to give an unbalanced visiting schedule no matter how long the 'trial' lasted! He would continue to catch one train many more times than the other," OK so we will have a 2 day trial, day one he goes to girl one, day two he goes to girl two.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'which is my point really.'

What is your point really?

Ex plorer's links show that with something as limited as 52 different cards there are an unimaginable numbers of ways of ordering them. If you shuffle them, thoroughly, the order you get is completely random.

If you shuffled a pack of cards, noted the order, and then shuffled them again and got exactly the same order that would still be a random outcome.

The order after one shuffle has no influence on the order after the second shuffle.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"you could shuffle a pack of cards all your life 24 hours a day 100.000 x an hour for a million years and it would not be repeated in the same way again"

I can't believe that unless someone proves it.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thank you Quickbeam.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features