We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anything be totally random?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can anything be totally random? an odd title maybe ,can anyone give me an example of something that is 100% random.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

bumpkin

A short story about random choices!

A boy had two girlfriends 'on the go' at the same time and wanted a random way to choose which one to make his wife.

He lived near a rail station, and the girls lived in opposite directions, and the trains ran every 20 minutes in each direction, he decided the simplest way to randomly choose which girl he visited was to simply arrive at the station at differing times (without even looking at a clock) each day and climb on whichever direction train came first. Then , at the end of a month, he would choose whichever one 'luck' had sent him to most often (expecting it would be a close thing).

He did this for a month, but found himself going to one of the girls about 8 times more than the other - why was this seemingly 'random' method not producing the expected near-equal visiting, over time?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

She was better looking and he asked someone else the time.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Seems you have an ability to be unable grasp the question!!

Ah well.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

Is it random that bumpkin accepts and agrees with those post supportive of his opinion and ignores those pointing out that there is a huge amount of randomness in the world?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

He did this for a month, but found himself going to one of the girls about 8 times more than the other - why was this seemingly 'random' method not producing the expected near-equal visiting, over time?

A month is not nearly long enough a trial.

If the events are random, it may go one way or the other for a very long time. Nothing to say it has to even out over a given limited period.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

fourm member, I posted earlier " that is my line of thinking but others have posted some valid arguments to the contrary."

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

bumpkin

How can you acknowledge that people have posted valid arguments but still cling to your invalid view?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

oresome

I can assure you, given the situation described with the trains, it would continue to give an unbalanced visiting schedule no matter how long the 'trial' lasted! He would continue to catch one train many more times than the other, as long as he arrived at random times and caught the first train that appeared.

I was simply wondering if an explanation could be offered for this apparent anomaly?

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

Can we choose our parents or is that random or does that come under the numbers heading?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I am not clinging to my invalid views, I wanted other peoples opinions thats all.

Spider9 I would have thought that at some point it would balance out. A bit like spinning a coin.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite