We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anything be totally random?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can anything be totally random? an odd title maybe ,can anyone give me an example of something that is 100% random.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"The lottery machines can be predicted as to which balls will come out if you could work out all the maths involving air flow, speed of rotation, weight of each ball, diameter of tube etc."

Anyone know where I can gather all this information from, and the hard sum required...?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

we have about £100 in Premium Bond Ernies

..as have many other people. Its a fact that the bigger your holding the more chance you have of winning. Current Odds are 24000 to 1. Having said that there are often people with only small holdings who have won bigger prizes. Check the Winners Lists

We have between us about £35000 worth and on average win about £100 a month, a much better return than most savings accounts these days.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/16/speakers-corner/4222395/can-anything-be-totally--random/?ob=datea&pn=2#ixzz2Pr1ZOivI

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Now, you are changing the question.

There's a big difference between random events and random numbers.

I agree that there is no such thing as a perfectly symmetrical die but it is possible to get close enough to perfection that the difference from genuine randomness is vanishingly small.

But, as I said, there are plenty of natural events that entirely random.

With events, like throwing a die, you start by saying this ought to be random why isn't it? With generating numbers, you start by saying this isn't random how can we make it seem to be?

That means, for something like ERNIE, the difference between the numbers generated and true randomness is also vanishingly small.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ may be right about determining the lottery balls from maths but the maths is mind-numbingly difficult. And, you'd have to know the start position for every ball to determine its movements. I've never seen a lottery draw but I'm assuming the balls don't start in numerical sequence.

People who claim that the lottery is predictable (without doing the complex maths) are usually finding patterns when none exist.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"Ball cocks"

And the next 1000 responses will all be totally random, in fact with the amount of different permutations of words/letters and numbers I believe that I could give a random response for a lifetime.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

carver

*" I believe that I could give a random response for a lifetime"*

In the true sense of 'random' I don't think you could. Every human being has some predisposition to have 'favourite' selections, be they words, letters or numbers.

That is why they need an ERNIE to try and overcome this human 'fault' in our makeup.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Carver, even if you could it would only be for a lifetime. I would also think any machine would have some bias. So we don't really know seems to be the answer.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Free radicals?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'So we don't really know seems to be the answer'

Eh?

We do know. Lots of events are truly random. Computer-generated random numbers aren't but, for something like ERNIE, they are so close to being truly random that you can't tell the difference.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The fact of two people meeting and falling in love is a totally random event, as is a road accident, or someone seeing a shooting star, or tripping over a paving stone.

Those things 'just happen', but of course other factors lead to them happening, and they may be random events, too.

As fourm member has pointed out, there's a big difference between random events and random numbers.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Any posting by Aitchbee

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite