We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anything be totally random?

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can anything be totally random? an odd title maybe ,can anyone give me an example of something that is 100% random.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

For example is the Lottery, ERNIE or a throw of dice totally random.

No

I believe Ernie uses something called a random number generator which over a great deal of time will begin to show patterns of numbers.

The lottery machines can be predicted as to which balls will come out if you could work out all the maths involving air flow, speed of rotation, weight of each ball, diameter of tube etc.

As for dice, there is a one in six chance of throwing the number of your choice. (1-6)

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

There may only be a one in six choice for the number appearing on a die but, if the die is perfectly symmetrical, the order in which different numbers appear for consecutive throws is truly random.

Most things in life are truly random.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Good someone has understood the question at last.

"The lottery machines can be predicted as to which balls will come out if you could work out all the maths involving air flow, speed of rotation, weight of each ball, diameter of tube etc."

Surely the same principal has to be applied to dice unless they are perfect (perfection being something we have failed to attain) and thrown on a "perfect" surface.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"if the die is perfectly symmetrical" which it cannot be. Any other takers on this.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Randomness has some similarities to Chaos theory. Have a look here and see if you agree!!

Chaos Theory

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

john bunyan, your reference to the "chaos theory" as interesting as it is has little to do with what I was asking.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Talking about lotteries, we have about £100 in Premium Bond Ernies, which we got from the very early days, and never had any wins yet.

Usually get a Lucky Dip from Camelot, and I often wonder if the numbers generated are likely to be in the low winner category selection. Get the very occasional £10 win, with the very very odd extra ball win, usually on a low pay-out day?.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

To have understood the question is more important than knowing the answer I was taught.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Let's have another think on the question, can anything man made create a truly random number.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Yes the answers to this post

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'