We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who is Dr Who aimed at?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I feel sure I might have asked this question before but after watching last nights episode this morning I feel I am still baffled as to what the target audience is for this program.

On a plus side I find the new assistant rather tasty, now if we could just change the doctor and lose some of the surrealism that seems to dominate a lot of the story lines these days I might just get back to liking it again.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm not familiar with Solaris, but I'll make you a bet in your own bookies that a well known moral will be featured in it somewhere:)

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'Without moral messages sci-fi/fantasy wouldn't be worth reading.'

I wouldn't go that far. I agree that most sci-fi/fantasy writing is intended to be allegorical or a parable but it can, often, be enjoyed without getting the intention.

2001 a Space Odyssey is a very good example of a film with complex meanings but it can be enjoyed without understanding any of that. Kubrick said;

'You're free to speculate as you wish about the philosophical and allegorical meaning of the film—and such speculation is one indication that it has succeeded in gripping the audience at a deep level—but I don't want to spell out a verbal road map for 2001 that every viewer will feel obligated to pursue or else fear he's missed the point'

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"2001 a Space Odyssey is a very good example of a film with complex meanings but it can be enjoyed without understanding any of that. Kubrick said;"

You can say that again, I didn't read the space odessey books until 20 years after the film and then only at the insistence of a friend that the film misses the point completely of a well written story. I just didn't get the film at all and still consider it a spectacular cinematic nonentity!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A Clockwork Orange was another film from Kubrick that featured strong moral messages for society. It was banned for years. I don't know why, 'cause it was rubbish too!

Without the ban it would have just disappeared into cinematic obscurity...

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Watched the two Star trek stories on TV

"Roddenberry's vision of the future utopian society" What are these people on?

It was an adventure story set in space Cowboys and Indians (cross out Indians and substitute Aliens)

Dr Who is an adventure story set in time and space.

Escapism for the masses.

One of the quotes from the star trek produces said people were reading in things that were "never written in, acted in or scored in".

Take what you want out of a story, the best stories make you use you imagination. The best Scifi? Depends on what the reader wants out of the story.

Been reading Scifi for over 50yrs, a sucker for time travel stories, I like the old masters approach to Scifi - take what's possible and expand it forward or give it a twist of what if?

Been looking for the old stuff for the Kindle and re-reading it, some of it you can see in a different light as science and technology have move on. E.G. Arthur C Clark's A Fall of Moondust, now we know the moon is not covered in dust.

Struggling to find the good old adventure set in space - E E "Doc" Smith Lensman series and Perry Rhodan

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I read from Avatar, Hiawatha in space and Pandora's Box as the moralities of the story. Maybe I'm seeing too much into things.

I also thought that smoking would be banned in spaceships and reference to clan jarhead space marines shooting like it was a Bruce Willis movie OTT.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ , for the E E Smith ebooks you want, there is a Kindle version

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/ScienceFiction%28Bookshelf%29#S

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try again with link ClickHere

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/* try project Gutenburg for old sci-fi, even has some old Astounding mags.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thanks guys some more to add to my collection.

I would much rather read Scifi than watch it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...