We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who is Dr Who aimed at?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I feel sure I might have asked this question before but after watching last nights episode this morning I feel I am still baffled as to what the target audience is for this program.

On a plus side I find the new assistant rather tasty, now if we could just change the doctor and lose some of the surrealism that seems to dominate a lot of the story lines these days I might just get back to liking it again.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

It's aimed at, and watched by a very wide audience. My wife loves it, and I sometimes watch it with her. I classify it as 'enjoyable twaddle' - pure entertainment, requiring a large amount of suspense of disbelief.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It seems to attract all ages for various reasons, I've always been a fan of Dr Who - remember the Darleks exterminate exterminate..

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I think I'm beginning to understand why it was cancelled the last time.

It must be very difficult to come up with plot lines that haven't been done before.

When a writer proposes something, there must be a chorus of 'Series X, episode Y' to show its been done before.

It is still trying to say things that will appeal to adult audiences without putting off younger family members.

Last night's core point about the importance of emotional experience over material wealth was well made but the trouble is the flash bang action surrounding it was tame.

Plus, of course, it is suffering from Hammer Horror syndrome. This is where you have to abandon your core rules to keep having fresh stories. For Hammer, that meant vampires started coming out in the daylight and stakes didn't always work.

Last night, the Tardis translational power had vanished without any mention of what had happened.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

When Star Trek appeared on our [TV] screens, my interest in Doctor Who waned ... Patrick Troughton was the best actor to 'play' the rather eccentric superhuman ... and Tom Baker [what a voice!] was good too.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

I am old enough to remember the first series. Without doubt it was aimed at children. As forum member suggests it gets harder to think up new plots all the time and so the program has got more and more outrages with more adult like story lines.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"vampires started coming out in the daylight and stakes didn't always work."

If the inability for vampires to cross running water also stops working, what's left to keep us safe?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I don't try to analyse it, I just relax and enjoy the entertainment.

HB, Voyager series was good, and I've been watching some of the repeats.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

lotvic

There's no problem with just enjoying it at face value. But the question was who is it aimed at and I was pointing out that, like a lot of successful TV and film, it has things to interest a wide range of viewers.

If it had just been a children's programme it wouldn't have been so successful.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It is aimed at people[the paying public] who watch all of the TV crap that is purported to be entertainment ie. Dancing on Ice, x-Factor, Eastenders to name but a few ... the producers of Doctor Who are now pandering to an amorphous cloud of millions TV couch potatoes who beleive all the hype that is spouted from that 'great gig in the sky' or 'elephant in the room' [ie. TELEVISION].

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fm, as I said Today at 11:25AM "It seems to attract all ages for various reasons" Errr, IMHO that means I think it's aimed at a wide audience.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...