We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mcdonald's threatning staff

finerty

Likes # 0

Today Saturday the 6th of April I visited McDonald’s restaurant with two of my friends on Tottenham Court Road. My friends were from abroad. One of my friends wanted to ask a member of staff a question, initially he was being ignored so I said excuse me Sir to a manager and I did a gesture using all of my hand as come forward. I did not use a single finger rather the whole of my hand to gesture to him to let him know we wanted to speak with him. He comes over and verbally raised his voice in threatening manner that the gesture I used is insulting to his culture. He made indication what culture he represented or how the gesture actually affected his culture.

I come home only to find there is only if I finger wagged also know as the dog calling sign which I did not use but used the knuckle area of hand to gesture to come over and bending all of fingers t to touch the palm of my hand. It wasn’t’ that busy in the restaurant. As we were leaving the manager repeated his statement and his manager partner started to raise his voice almost shout.

I have always used this gesture for the last 40 years only to be told by very arrogant manager from McDonald’s something very constrict-dory .

My friends found the staff there very insulting and very rude even though he was accusing me of being rude. I did not raise my voice at him or provoke the staff in any way.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

MacDonalds usually take genuine customer complaints seriously.

A couple of years ago I had cause to complain about the 'music' in one of the outlets. They were playing very loud 'ethnic' style music. Obviously not the normal stuff which is properly sanctioned and paid for by the company. It was so loud that it was almost impossible to communicate with the counter staff to place my order.

I made a complaint via the McD website and the next time I went in the music was down to 'background' volume and of a more usual type.

What you must remember is that most outlets are franchise operations and run by independent operators who while having to abide by strict guidelines have a certain amount of leeway in running the outlet.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I can't help but think that the description restaurant is a bit of a misnomer for anywhere that doesn't trust it's diners with cutlery...

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

The last two times I have used McDonalds was because it was the only place open at the time. That was in Florida after 01.00 hrs and the other was in Switzerland. The reason I used that was because of the outlandish prices in other eating places. Switzerland is expensive by my standards.

The standards of their food and their service were very good and I would have no hesitation in eating in any of them in the future. But I don't normally eat out. So I haven't been in one since my grandchildren were little and that was only to drive through and get their requested meal.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'Switzerland is expensive by my standards.'

The thing that struck me most about Switzerland was that the restaurants close at dinnertime.

Well, they close very early anyway.

Some years ago I attended a huge exhibition in Montreux. Every town within 30 miles had all its hotels full of attendees. We found that if we left the show the minute it closed, by the time we were back to our hotel, all the restaurants had stopped serving.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The whole post is difficult to follow and the title is pretty confusing.

I read the title as McDonalds are threatening their staff, which may well be actionable if you can't prove it.

If it means that some McDonalds staff are acting in a threatening manner then you need to find out who actually owns and runs the Tottenham Court Road branch, then speak to them, as almost all the branches in the UK are franchises

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

They might be a franchise, but they also carry the McDonald name and use McDonald advertising.

I have never been in a McDonald, KFC or one of the many Pizza houses. Only once went into a local Subway branch at 9.15am on a weekday, so as to receive a free 'breakfast sandwich' that was on offer that day, via a newspaper special voucher cut-out. Apparently that 'empty' store had used up their daily quota of the free offer, so I never got my Subway, but I could have bought something else, to close the pangs of hunger. Not bad really, considering the store hadn't opened till 9.00am, and there was no queues or many people about.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

If they're a franchise the franchisee is self employed, the staff are employed by the franchisee. McDonalds would hold no sway over the staff, but could penalise the franchisee

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

Exactly, McDonald could and would penalise the franchisee, if the franchisee was bucking the corporate image.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Still trying to work out who has threatened who!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's a good job it didn't happen in the Savoy Grill, otherwise there would be a diplomatic incident to address.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad